Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yesterday I played my first public performance for several years. It went really well and I received many thanks and much praise from audience and organisers alike.
It's great to be back in the old routine (couldn't resist that), and today when I practiced I found a new confidence. If anyone else has missed playing for some time for whatever reason, I can only say - pick up your sax and play!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,602 Posts
Glad it went well!

I'm thinking of picking it up again after a two years layoff.

FMI, how long had you laid off, and how long did it take to get your chops back?

How demanding was the gig? Small group or big band?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congratulations! Glad it went well!

I came back around 2000 after a few years off.
I cherish every day I get to make music.

Best wishes,

Reg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad it went well!

I'm thinking of picking it up again after a two years layoff.

FMI, how long had you laid off, and how long did it take to get your chops back?

How demanding was the gig? Small group or big band?
Hi jbc
thanks for the good wishes. I had a break of about 3 years round about the turn of the Millennium (I was travelling), but have been playing at home sice then.
It wasn't the biggest gig in town - just three unaccompanied solos - but it felt great!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Played again last week - was very pleased to see many smiling faces as I walked through the crowd playing solo on my way out. I made a few mistakes in the first piece, but it was a solo I'd only come up with that week. Always a pleasure to play, and thanks to those of you who've taken the trouble to read my posts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, folks, I'm really back into it now. I played a bit here and there, but two weeks ago I played at a garden festival. Half an hour in front of 200-300 people - a bit scary, but I pulled it off. My friend filmed it so I can review my performance. It was really exciting, and I'm so happy that I can do something I enjoy and bring pleasure to other people, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another gig today. I've just moved up to a Selmer 80 sll, which played beautifully. Shame I made a few mistakes!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goodness me! Have I been lazy or what?
The garden festival is now an annual gig, but this year we had rain, so I had to play indoors, and "Summertime" might not have been the best opener.
One lesson I've learned over the years - always bring your own PA. Now matter how impressive the house system looks, I kniow I can rely on my gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts