Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again need help please, when I blow a bottom d (usually after playing higher octave key notes) I get an octave higher d, I think it is my untrained embouchure? if I play the bottom d on its own and tighten the embouchure I can get the octave up quite easy any suggestions please it is driving me maaaad?
mpiece yamaha 4c
reed vandoran 2.50
lig bg standard
sax bauhaus walstein curved sop

·
Registered
196 Posts
You're hitting overtones, You need to practice playing a lower note that doesnt jump up in the octave, then slide down to the low D and hold it as long as possible. Think "O" to open your throught and let more air in your horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
That's okay . . . ask away. But again, all things being equal (developed chops, familiarity with the horn, and suitable mouthpiece/reed combo), I'd suspect the horn.

Every saxophone I've ever owned that displayed this fault (sounding the second octave when playing D1 and up to maybe F#1) was because somewhere, the mechanisms weren't doing their jobs. Even the slightest movement in the octave mechanisms OR if the upper octave pad is not sealing (this can be VERY subtle, if that is proper English, which I know it isn't but appropriate to this issue) will make the second octave at D to F prone to speaking when the lower octave is intended.

Coupled with your previous issues, I strongly suggest you take that horn to a tech for a close examination. Oh, you can start it yourself by closely watching all of those interactions, but a good tech can fix it for you. Even unfamiliar chops shouldn't make your horn jump the octaves. DAVE

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Here I go again need help please, when I blow a bottom d (usually after playing higher octave key notes) I get an octave higher d, I think it is my untrained embouchure? if I play the bottom d on its own and tighten the embouchure I can get the octave up quite easy any suggestions please it is driving me maaaad?
mpiece yamaha 4c
reed vandoran 2.50
lig bg standard
sax bauhaus walstein curved sop
Take it to a tech to be sure, but welcome to saxophone overtones. It's how pros play the the really high notes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
Good horn and a good mouthpiece so there is something wrong either with the horn or the player. Without playing the horn, finger lowest G and push on the octave key pads to make sure they are both closing. When you play G or lower, it lifts off slightly on the lower octave pad (near the left thumb) and some missing cork or maladjustment will cause a leak. You didn't mention low C and lower. Are those hard to play? If so, you may have a leaking Eb pad. If it gets worse as you go down from G, then it could be the G# leaking. If you don't see any of these things being out of sorts, a tech will need to look at it.
Best of all, have another player try it and see if he has the same trouble.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some great tips here, I am going to go through all these suggestions and tests, and I will let you know what I come up with.
When the horn is not producing these problems (or me) it sounds great I am pleased with it, but that perfection is just round the corner!
thanks
john

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just sat and played through the problem area on my sop.and the problem is not there? only differnce I can think of is the sax and mp are dry and my ebouchure is not tired?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Also make sure that when you hit the low D you have all your fingers down for that position, you could be involuntarily playing an altissimo note.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably not relevant, but I was having this problem on my Jupiter straight soprano; turned out my right first finger knuckle was just touching the Bb side key, and a leak there is at exactly the right spot to throw the D into the ocave. Just check your fingers aren't brushing any other keys...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I have noticed that if my left hand (knuckle) touches one of the palm keys it can happen,
thanks
John

·
1,001 Posts
It sounds to me as if you might be over-blowing a bit. When playing a 4C there is not much space for air to enter the mouthpiece. A normal adult, especially one who has played tenor sax or any brass instruments, will over-blow a soprano very easily. The trick is to learn to hold back the pressure. Don't push very hard - especially on low notes. it may be hard to believe how little air it takes. The flip side is you can easily play 8-bar phrases.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tom, I am practicing blowing the bottom D. B. Bflat.gently untill I get a sound then holding it for a long note, what do you recon? Is this good practice?
BTW I am getting a better MP soon and will see how that improves the situation.
John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
You may already have the better mouthpiece. I use a 4C and have owned a lot of soprano mouthpieces in48 years.

·
2,874 Posts
I've noticed that a problem like this sometimes is due to not having the mouthpiece pushed in far enough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I cant push it on any further, but if I pull it out (a lot) I get the warbles! The position it is in is in tune.
John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bruce, the Yam 4c came highly recommended from various posts on the forum. I believe it is very good and cheap! perhaps 5c would be a better bet?

·
2,833 Posts
so is this your first sax"?..if so you have started on probably the hardest member of the family, well certainly of the four most popular soprano,alto tenor,baritone, the sop requires a lot more embouchure control than the the others, you have to put time into developing a nice tone on sop",as to your problem of getting a D" in the next octave, i would imagine you may be just biting, slightly without realizing it!..this is easy to do after you have been playing in the upper register prior to dropping down to the low notes", with sop you can take in alittle more mouthpiece, how long have you been playing?, and how long have you had the bauhaus [they are fine saxes" for the money]..i would be surprised if you had a problem, does it play the low F,E etc ok?,do you get the same problem with those notes..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts