Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately that when I play for an extended time I will get some blood on the tip of my reed. I've gone to the mirror and looked at my lip and not seen a cut or any blood. It does seem that my tongue gets a little sore sometimes after playing a while. I wonder if I am doing something that I am not aware of with my tongue. I think I produce a pretty good tone. Is this a classic sign of taking in too much mouthpiece? I never had problems like this in the 20 years I've played off and on. The difference is I never played a metal piece until just the last year or so.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The blood is from the reed, it shows it hasn't been matured enough, all the blood from inside hasn't dried out. :tongue2:

Seriously, sometimes the tip of the reed nips your tongue or bottom lip, not enough to show the injury. From what you say, I don't think you're biting.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not a doctor but I'm going to play one on sax on the web.

Do you have any teeth or gum issues?
Perhaps gingivitis?

During the time you were playing, did you cough?

When the blood appears, have you tried squeezing the sore area on your tongue to see if you could draw some blood?

·
Registered
853 Posts
patseguin said:
I've noticed lately that when I play for an extended time I will get some blood on the tip of my reed. I've gone to the mirror and looked at my lip and not seen a cut or any blood. It does seem that my tongue gets a little sore sometimes after playing a while. I wonder if I am doing something that I am not aware of with my tongue. I think I produce a pretty good tone. Is this a classic sign of taking in too much mouthpiece? I never had problems like this in the 20 years I've played off and on. The difference is I never played a metal piece until just the last year or so.
I had the same thing happen to me once several years ago. I wouldn't worry abt it unless it persists for a long time. You could have a micro-abrasion on your tongue somewhere (caused by playing or not), and your playing is just aggravating it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts