Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site should have a function to block members. There is so much drama that goes on, and constant bickering between the same people. The option to block a member so you can't see them and they can't see you would really trim down the noise here. Pretty much every site or app on social media has this function.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,908 Posts
I like it. This site is full of negativity and there are always back-and-forths between several of the same members, so I agree with Dave. It would be nice to be able to just block them.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,597 Posts
I don't know how to do it, but you can definitely do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,196 Posts
You can use your Ignore function so you don't have to "see" it.

Go to Settings - Edit Ignore List.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You can use your Ignore function so you don't have to "see" it.

Go to Settings - Edit Ignore List.
That's what I was referring to. G to the rescue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignore just means they can't send each other messages and you can't see their posts. But it just says "this post is not visible because this user is on your ignore list" They can see yours and comment on it. Plus, if you see the person has commented on your post but you can't see what, that's a little annoying. I'd imagine the temptation to un-ignore to see what was written would be strong.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,820 Posts
That's what I was referring to. G to the rescue.

That is ignore, but not a block which is what David is requesting. I did mention that but presumably you missed it if I am on your ignore list :)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
That is ignore, but not a block which is what David is requesting. I did mention that but presumably you missed it if I am on your ignore list :)
Ya, makes sense.

I get nervous with a complete block due to the fact that threads could potentially become confusing. We could possibly loose context to responses etc. At least with the ignore button, you can figure out context if need be as you see their post (kind of)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,196 Posts
I guess the Block function would be useful if you like to sell relacquered vintage Selmers and don't want to be called on it.

After you block all the naysayers, you're home free to say whatever you like!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, especially if you're using this forum as a shop window for your saxes, mouthpieces etc. Besides, for the rest of us one user's bicker is another's energetic discussion.

The OP has been a member of several years, why get angry about this now?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I'm not angry at all. I just think the site would function better and be more enjoyable to all if we each had more control over what content we wanted. More or less every member site out there has this function, whether it be social media, dating sites, etc. I just think we should follow suit. More sax-content, less unrelated bickering.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,908 Posts
If someone didn’t want to see what I contribute to this forum and didn’t want to see my weekly for sale ads, I wouldnt be offended whatsoever. If I’m a bother to someone, they could block me. That’s ok with me.
There are a few members that come on and do nothing but troll and try to stir up the pot with loads of posts, and those would be the ones I would block. For that small group, it would be nice to have. It would make the experience here even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ignore is fine, blocking not, in my opinion (very personal).

I'd like a "like" button too, by the way, to appreciate especially useful posts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If someone didn’t want to see what I contribute to this forum and didn’t want to see my weekly for sale ads, I wouldnt be offended whatsoever. If I’m a bother to someone, they could block me. That’s ok with me.
There are a few members that come on and do nothing but troll and try to stir up the pot with loads of posts, and those would be the ones I would block. For that small group, it would be nice to have. It would make the experience here even more enjoyable.
Yes this is exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i'd rather see resources spent on implementing a reliable search function. seems simple enough to ignore posts made by users known to cause irritation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts