Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I had a MACSAX / Warburton LA delivered this week so I thought I'd post a quick comparison text. These are always informative and good fun, so please post your order between

a) Theo Wanne Amma
b) MACSAX / Warburton LA
c) NY link by Eric Falcon (Warburton)

I will posts the results on 1st October. If you want to give your preference that would be great as well!

Links here

http://www.danforshaw.com/blindfold/piece1.mp3

http://www.danforshaw.com/blindfold/piece2.mp3

http://www.danforshaw.com/blindfold/piece3.mp3

Enjoy

Dan

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I'm confused by the mouthpiece names you're using. Is there a MacSax model mouthpiece now? Or are you referring to the Warburton "L.A. Tenor" model? And is the last piece on your list a Warburton Modified Link STM?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a MACSAX / Warburton LA 7* how this differs from a 'Warburton' LA I've no idea (although I guess they are similar) the Link is a Warburton / Eric Falcon Modified New York Link...hope this helps

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
My guess is 1. NY Link, 2. Theo Wanne, 3. Warburton

My favorite is #3, whatever that is.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Piece 1: Wanne Amma
Piece 2: Warburton LA
Piece 3: NY Link

Slightly confusing as the links to the soundclips are listed in reverse order, i.e. piece 3 is listed first.

I prefered piece 3, which I think might be the NY Link.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Hi Dan, good to hear from you! First a couple of general comments.

- I don't see how anyone can make an educated guess on which mpc is which if they've not ever played one.
- our giving a personal preference should be irrelevant to you. It's what you hear and prefer when you listen to the playbacks.

My impressions:

1.) fairly buzzy but IMO perfect for the style of the tune and the way you are playing it. The three of you (player, mpc, tune) are a good match. BTW, loved the way you popped those low notes out from time to time. You seemed to be having the most fun with this combination.

2.) slightly more body to the sound, less edge and a bit more covered. Might need some help with another reed and/or micing in some performance settings (in contrast w/#1).

3.) somewhat more edge than #2 but less than #1, and more body than #1. Of course the mpc wasn't made/refaced this way, but it seems almost a compromise between nrs. 1 and 2. Mpc sound seems a tad suppressed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I preferred 2, then 1 then 3. 2 wasn't too dark, like 3, and not as bright as 1. There was nothing objectionable about 2.
I have no idea which is which.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys!

Hi Gary thx for comments, it was posted as a bit of fun / are my ears hearing what everyone else is?...ur right in terms of preference & mine will be the same no matter what the results...anyone else want a shot?

·
27,650 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts

·
27,650 Posts
Buck, I followed your links but couldn't find any sound examples. Are you referencing any there, or have you, the played all three of these mpcs?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Buck, I followed your links but couldn't find any sound examples. Are you referencing any there, or have you, the played all three of these mpcs?
I've played the two Warburtons. I still own an L.A. Tenor (a big, powerful, and versatile piece). I've never played an Amma, but I've played a Gaia and a Kali.

I recall the Warburton Modified Link STM as being a bit brighter, cleaner, and louder than the piece being played in the 3rd clip, but I'm assuming the Amma would sound brighter and louder (or at least less muffled) than the Modified Link -- that's why I chose the Amma as #2 and the Link as #3. To my ears, the 3rd clip sounded more dull and muffled than the first two clips.

I just posted those links to see if they match up to the mouthpieces Dan is featuring. The model names he's using differ from the model names Warburton uses. And I'm still curious to find out if MacSax has entered the mouthpiece game.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts