Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are recordings Alex Budman playing a Borgani Pearl Gold, MACSAX Unlacquered Empyreal, and his Selmer Mark VI.

Can you tell which is which?

Which one do you prefer?

Alto A

Alto B

Alto C

Please be patient as the files can be a little slow to load.

Looking forward to your comments ...

Enjoy!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
No I can't tell which is which.

I suppose I preferred Alto C followed by Alto A and then Alto B.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not a lot of difference here too. But, for the sake of the thread, I'll give it a try... just for fun. I think I like more the C, FWIW...

A) Empyreal
B) Mark VI
C) Borgani

I can go on trying to explain what I hear, but I think it's not the point, and won't add that much...

Thanks Brian!

(and PM Sent!)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Attached are recordings Alex Budman playing a Borgani Pearl Gold, MACSAX Unlacquered Empyreal, and his Selmer Mark VI.

Can you tell which is which?

Which one do you prefer?
A Borgani

B Macsax

C MKVI

I prefer in order B, C, A.

They are all very similar apart from the altissimo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't tell, but I can give my opinion...
C is the warmest and most selmer like. I like it best.
B is good and warmish, with a modern but spread quailty. Nice
A is the brightest and "new " sounding. Would cut the best i think. Nice and clear, but the most "new " in character in the sound. this player could use any of them on a gig if sound, articulation and projection are important and if he felt right using them.
I would guess that teh Mk. VI is c, the Mac Sax is B and the Borgani is A.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
C, B, then A. Don't know which is which, but A was way too buzzy and ringing for me, B was in between, and C was sweet and mellow...The way I think an alto should be!

·
Registered
235 Posts
A - pretty buzzy

B - round,dark smooth, high end a bit pronounced against the darker core

C - hmm not sure

I'm not sure which one i prefer. Though I can say there is one that has a definite deep/round thing happening in the low end. (B)

·
Banned
334 Posts
There are some subtle differences here...
My guess will be:

A) Empyreal (sounds a lot like my Barone Vintage)
B) Borgani
C) Mark VI

What mouthpiece are you using?

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I think if you played these for a normal 'member of the public', they would hear virtually no difference between the 3 saxes. I only made one pass through the 3 files, and they were all rather similar. I'm sure if forced myself to listen to them 4 or 5 times with a mind to pick out the differences, I would be able to make some comments. But on first listening, all rather similar, with the most noticeable differences coming in the alt passages, cos the player seemed to have an easier time on certain horns than others, but again,not a huge difference in my book.
It could be that 1) saxes really don't make huge of a difference in sound than what we SOTWers think 2) we are making mountains out of molehills of little variations 3) the player already has a certain sound in mind, and so unconsciously compensates for any variation in horn response to try to achieve his 'reference' sound 4) this little piggy is tone deaf
So what do you all think - is it 1,2,3 or 4?

I do think however, that the ergonomics or feel of each horn might be larger than the actual variation in sound..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
I liked them in the order of
B
C
A

And I dig the exercise he was playing too....any idea where I can get a copy of that??

·
3,287 Posts
3) the player already has a certain sound in mind, and so unconsciously compensates for any variation in horn response to try to achieve his 'reference' sound
I think that happens and is largely why a new horn will not really make a great deal of difference but there are some gear differences and all gear really does is provide a basic tone from which to spring from and the rest is up to the player.

I think everyone is pretty well locked into how they sound because they are themselves and not someone else, so it's all going to come out their way in the end.

Some players just can't play some things well, no matter how they try but they can sort of make a passable go at it.

If someone can't really feel the Blues then they are not going to be able to play it in a convincing manner but that same someone might excel at a light classical style or whatever so it's horses for courses because we are not all the same.

The player might feel more comfortable with Sax A rather than Sax B and the mouthpiece/Sax combo of someone is based a lot on personal preference and no one can really advise someone on their personal preference.

I've heard Strad's compared to more modern violins in blindfold tests and most of the violin players couldn't pick out the Strad with much certainty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think if you played these for a normal 'member of the public', they would hear virtually no difference between the 3 saxes. I only made one pass through the 3 files, and they were all rather similar. I'm sure if forced myself to listen to them 4 or 5 times with a mind to pick out the differences, I would be able to make some comments. But on first listening, all rather similar, with the most noticeable differences coming in the alt passages, cos the player seemed to have an easier time on certain horns than others, but again,not a huge difference in my book.
It could be that 1) saxes really don't make huge of a difference in sound than what we SOTWers think 2) we are making mountains out of molehills of little variations 3) the player already has a certain sound in mind, and so unconsciously compensates for any variation in horn response to try to achieve his 'reference' sound 4) this little piggy is tone deaf
So what do you all think - is it 1,2,3 or 4?

I do think however, that the ergonomics or feel of each horn might be larger than the actual variation in sound..
This is a very well thought out post. I might add that really high end recording, mixing, mastering and editing can make any good player sound better and any decent , not leaking horn sound great. In the end, it appears that the new horns are now somewhat indistinguisable from the vintage horn, at least for the listener. Jerry Bergonzi used to tell me that the further you get from the player, the less the equipment matters, and the player matters the most.

·
2,853 Posts
All I can tell is that A is a little harsher and brighter than B and C. B and C sound the same with what seems a touch more power coming from B.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts