1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,587 Posts
From some of your previous posts, I think I know what two horns these are. I won't spoil it for people who want to guess. They both sound great (players and horns), and each player sounded very similar on both saxes...I wouldn't guess which is which. Player A has a tone more to my liking, but both are very good. I have to assume one player was you? Did each player use their own mouthpiece to even the playing field completely?

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From some of your previous posts, I think I know what two horns these are. I won't spoil it for people who want to guess. They both sound great (players and horns), and each player sounded very similar on both saxes...I wouldn't guess which is which. Player A has a tone more to my liking, but both are very good. I have to assume one player was you? Did each player use their own mouthpiece to even the playing field completely?
Yes but they both play the same piece, one plays a 7* and one plays an 8*.

·
2,319 Posts
Player A sounded better on horn B and player B sounded the same on both.
I prefer the tone of horn B in the first round- it has a cleaner, more professional tone. It has a more singing quality to the tone. The first horn for player A was a little too dark or muddy sounding to my ear. The tone had kind of a drab dark quality to it, relatively speaking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I liked horn B.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,022 Posts
Can you tell what horns are being played.
I might be able to choose one horn over the other, but you are asking us to actually name the brand of horn being played?! No way could I do that except by a wild guess. Can't even try, really. I think I prefered horn B slightly over horn A. But can't say for sure.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might be able to choose one horn over the other, but you are asking us to actually name the brand of horn being played?! No way could I do that except by a wild guess. Can't even try, really. I think I prefered horn B slightly over horn A. But can't say for sure.
They sound very similar wouldn't you agree? I think player B really is able to sound the same on both horns. My sound seemed to change a little more from horn to horn but not by a lot. In person they sound so close. One is a little fuzzier around the edges and one is a little clearer sounding around the edges. I would be very happy with either horn. I just have to shut up and practice more as usual.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

·
Registered
681 Posts
They sound very similar wouldn't you agree?
Really shows how much of the person actually comes through on horns and that sometimes it's more the person than the horn.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,440 Posts
What's the point? None of these blind tests mean anything, because it's not about what we hear - it's about what the player gets from the horn. A good player sounds good on any decent horn and those who know his sound will recognize his playing just like they would his voice on the phone.

·
12,711 Posts
I agree. I think most of it is the player and this is multiplied by the fact that the essential characteristics of an individual horns is minimized by putting a microphone to it. I am sure there will be some arguments here but, as discussed in a previous thread, the issue of focus vs spread tends to be lost when recording a saxophone. I dont mean to offend. Im just making a point or suggestion regarding this issue.

Im willing to bet we have all heard skilled players sound excellent on a $500 Bundy. I know if have. There are a thousand ways to myth bust gear but in the end I agree that in the end it is largely about the subjective experience of the player. If he/she is inspired so to will be the performance (hopefully).

This always reminds me of how outraged audiences were when Jazz musicians would turn their back on an audience and play to their peers. Its not about the gear, its about the music.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the point? None of these blind tests mean anything, because it's not about what we hear - it's about what the player gets from the horn. A good player sounds good on any decent horn and those who know his sound will recognize his playing just like they would his voice on the phone.
The point is that it is fun to play different horns and that the player has the most to do with it.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a BIG difference between Horn A and Horn B! The sax makes a big difference I think. I agree, the best sax is the one that inspires the player.
If you have are horn that you love and can't put down you will be a better player for it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
my OPINION<....Horn A just sounds plain terrible, Horn B-not bad. Enough of the game-what are they?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,022 Posts
If you have are horn that you love and can't put down you will be a better player for it!
Right on. This is the point for a given horn, mpc, reed, or whatever equipment used to make music.

I agree with those who point out that sound clips will not help you choose the horn for you. And yes, horns A & B sound about the same to me, although I slightly preferred horn B, if I had to pick. But I also think a horn can sound very different live or unmiked or miked or recorded or in different venues. And of course it will sound different in the hands of different players. So it's really down to finding the horn that feels & sounds good to you when you are playing it, so you'll be inspired to play at your best. One size does not fit all.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts