Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...reading through the various posts on here I've seen mention of the Yanagisawa's tone to be "bland". I was wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding this. Is it that for the most part, everything is compared to a Selmar (particulary the markVI)....is it the perceived lack of overtones/harmonics in the core sound by some....what do you think?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Perry Cobb said:
Hi all...reading through the various posts on here I've seen mention of the Yanagisawa's tone to be "bland". I was wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding this.
Doesn't the first sentence answer the second, LOL?

There are a lot of good players playing them. I think a lot has to with the player and the mpc/reed combination. However, for me, bland isn't a word I would use, but I suppose that's close to the feeling I got when I tried them - maybe neutral would be a better word, I don't know. They're great horns - they just don't do it for me personally.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Check out Peter King on YouTube - he often is playing a Yani (and he's far from bland). Also, some folks will say the bronze models darken up the sound a little if "bright" is not your thing (indeed, it's not mine, so I'm looking to try out a bronze alto someday soon...) Also, check out Saxaholic's review of the Yani A992 vs. the Selmer Ref. 54 on this forum (it should be in the "Sax vs. Sax" subforum). As always, however, you just gotta try them out yourself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, all my horns are yanis...S902, A991, T991 (I also have a MarkVI tenor)....I don't find them to be bland at all. Some obviously do...was just curious what the source of that was.

And Gary...I see what you mean about one sentence answering the other...I guess I was directing that question more to those of us who play yanis....although, that still woulnd't make sense as chances are those that play yanis don't think they're bland! Guess my question flat out doesn't make sense.....please excuse! lol

Those of you who think yanis are "bland"...what was it? Tone, response...ergonomics....something else...who cares? all of the above?

pc1234....doesn't Peter King have his own yani model that he plays on?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Perry Cobb said:
Actually, all my horns are yanis...S902, A991, T991 (I also have a MarkVI tenor)....I don't find them to be bland at all. Some obviously do...was just curious what the source of that was.

And Gary...I see what you mean about one sentence answering the other...I guess I was directing that question more to those of us who play yanis....although, that still woulnd't make sense as chances are those that play yanis don't think they're bland! Guess my question flat out doesn't make sense.....please excuse! lol

Those of you who think yanis are "bland"...what was it? Tone, response...ergonomics....something else...who cares? all of the above?

pc1234....doesn't Peter King have his own yani model that he plays on?
Yes, Peter King plays a "Peter King" model - and I ask you, what are the odds of that??? ;)
I think it's got a silver body and a bronze bell, or else the opposite, with some gold thrown in somewhere... the bore dimensions and everything else are the same as any other Yani, however (at least, I've never heard otherwise).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
I felt that way when I first got my B901. I've been messing around with mouthpiece/reed combinations (see the baritone mouthpiece thread) -and I no longer feel that way. FYI I've been testing HR and metal Yanis, HR Bergs, HR Links (EZ perfected), and Vandoren B75s (yuck).

Even if it is a little bland, the B901 pricepoint is siginficantly lower than the other big names-that made the difference between having one and not having one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SaxyAcoustician said:
Hmmm... Is it the player or the horn that sounds bland? Hmmm...

Sigh...when will people learn? :disgust:

Interesting question...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished a much needed practice session....still don't get the "bland" thing...I love the tone I'm getting out of my T991 w/bronze neck! :)

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Just heard from Grumps. He tells me you spelled Yamaha wrong in your original post. :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fballatore said:
Just heard from Grumps. He tells me you spelled Yamaha wrong in your original post. :D
lol...though, I must say, I tried one of the 82Z's last year and thought it sounded pretty good!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agent27 said:
Listen to Vincent Herring and tell me if you think his tone is "bland".

http://www.myspace.com/vincentherring

Nope, don't think so. You can go to my MySpace page and listen to Work Song or Nothing Personal. That's a Yani.
Definately nothing bland about his sound!! Do you know which yani he's using? A991, A992...etc.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Or, for that matter, try listen to Barney Wilen (the altoist who played in Miles Davis's film score "Ascenseur Pour L'Echaufaud") and tell me you think he sounds bland. All his gears, from sop to bari, are Yanies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a note to add to the comment on what Yanagisawa model Peter King plays on. I believe it's a A9932Z, which had a silver neck and and bell, bronze body and gold plating inside the bell. It was extensively engraved. I understand that it was made for the UK and Japanese markets and that only around 17 were produced. Others say a few more than 17 were produced but I haven't seen confirmation of this. I think they were made from 2000 until about 2003, and because of their price and rarity several remained unsold for some time and were eventually heavily discounted to a more affordable but still premium level.

To my knowledge it was never officially called the 'Peter King' model, but gained that additional moniker when Peter King was presented in Japan with a A9932Z by the head of Yanagisawa. Apparently he now plays it regularly over his Mark VI.

Here's a link to a page on Peter, from the UK distributors of Yanagisawa.

The A9932Z was superseded by the A9932J, which featured similar materials but different Japanese engraving - following a change in the way models were offered as engraved to order.

Anyone who's heard Peter would never describe his sound as 'bland' - it's amongst the richest, most passionate and musical you'll ever find - it always was, whatever the instrument!

Hope this helps

M

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Even my ancient S-6 doesn't sound bland. Actually quite warm and cuddly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I don't find the 2 Yani tenors I have(880,902) to be bland at all.

Actually, they are some of the best instruments I've played, and I've owned
and played my share of great vintage instruments, and thought I preferred
them to new horns, which I did, for a longtime.

As far as comparisons to MK VIs [and the people that prefer them] I
would say you'd first need to know which MK VIs they find to be superior
to a [particular]Yanagisawa.

The last 2 VI tenors I owned were not remarkable instruments at all.
I have played some ideal examples but they belonged to other players or
were out of my reach price-wise.

The blandness issue or so-called neutrality of tone re: Yani(or even Yamaha)
I don't quite understand, although I read about that all the time.

I think these horns are very responsive, as any good horn should be, to reed/mpc. changes.

They are freer-blowing than the average vintage Selmer(SBA/VI) and because
of that, I think they get a bad rap from SBA/VI players who like to push against
something to get their sound.

The Yanis seem to have the response of a Conn or King but w/ a more centered
tone, a'la Selmer.

I think the Yanis play like some of the better VIs I've played but not like many
VIs that people own/prefer which, of course vary quite a bit over the range.

Or, maybe it's more reasonable to say that they play like I wish some of the
ones I've owned did; those sent me to American vintage horns for a number
of years..;)

As always, YMMV ..

1 - 20 of 85 Posts