Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
These are excellent observations. I have never understood why one should need a specific mouthpiece (other than one's main piece) for a specific kind of music. I have played Stubbies and Tonemasters at funk gigs no problem, for example. I played into a mike and had a soundman with sensitive ears. A high baffled piece might make the job a little easier, but there is always in my opinion a sacrifice in tone. I can't remember which mouthpiece you are using today, I think you named three, but any one of them should work.
Thx for the kind words, Leon. I've seen good players make either kind of mouthpiece (high baffle, low baffle) work in multiple playing situations. GHawk, if you don't mind my dropping your name....you are smooooooth on your Black Widow piece, brother....I would love to get the tone you do on the BW and you can make it play in any situation. Me, I've developed my tone on a different type of mouthpiece but I can make it work in different playing situations as well. Well, OK, I haven't done any hardcore rock, but it works for funk/R&B, pop.

To the OP, I'd say try all three but you probably posted the question because it isn't practical for you to do so. What type of mouthpiece do you play now (high baffle or low baffle, big or medium chamber) and where does it fall short that you are asking your question...I think you mentioned more projection? Any of the 3 you list will give you that...the Durga and Gaia are a bit pricier, though, unless you find one secondhand. Have fun on the journey! (Me...I've had ALOT of fun and finally settled down last year. After many years of playing different pieces. ? )
I just saw this....thanks so much!!! Love my Black Widow. I'm selling a lot of my mouthpiece collection because of it. The BW is so versatile I just don't need them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts