Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 66RUL off ebay recently and I am so getting into it. I read all there was to read on them (on this forum) and its all true. Monster horn. However I really like the look of the Black Pearl with silver keys and have been listening to Darren Rahn who plays one beautifully and raves about it.
Can anyone help me decide whether to take the plunge and get a new Black Pearl to keep for ever or is the sound better on the 66?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Darren DOES sound great on his horn! I've not played one of the black pearl tenors, but do have a 66RUL with which I couldn't be more pleased.

If you're able, try the 66 with one of the 'Magnum' necks, which has been discussed at length in the P. Mauriat sub-forum. I and many others feel that
the Magnum neck changes the 66's into nearly a completely different horn.

Better yet, take the plunge and have two very different models altogether... you can never have 'enough' tenors.... yeah?

enjoy, DC

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I had 3 66Rs,2 were ULS,AMAZING horns i think,i also had the 60NS,Nickel Silver Mauriat tenor and alto which are the same nickel model as the black pearl but the pearl has the black nickel finish.There also fantastic free blowing horns,again there HUGE in sound,found mine more cutting and more shean to the sound.The tenor was not to bright,just enough for me but compared to the 66r it cuts more to the brilliant side of sound.Yes the looks are stunning on the pearl and the 60NS but for me its a 66R UL that wins but only just,both are monster hugh tenors,great sound.For me the best 2 modern horns are the 66RUL and the Yamaha Z tenors,both different but both can be pushed as hard as you like and they go with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my black pearl ,plays so free i have a Vandoren V16 T55 with a Vandoren Java filed Red and it works for me but the 66r is sweet too get the two of them :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts