Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about black nickel plating.

I want to buy a KEILWERTH Shadow bit I am concerned about the wear and corrosion resistance of black nickel.

Could any KEILWERTH Shadow users or other sax players shed some light in this area before I proceed with my purchase?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ive owned mine for more than 5 years, it only has minor wear around the lower key guards, the left side of the bell (where it used to lay on my lap).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black nickel

chops2200 said:
Ive owned mine for more than 5 years, it only has minor wear around the lower key guards, the left side of the bell (where it used to lay on my lap).
By wear, I mean does the coating fade in color?

Also, which brand of sax are you playing?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've owned a b/n B&S 2001 for 8-9 yrs, & it shows no signs of wear or fade. It's my only sax & I play out frequently.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had a black nickel Chicago jazz tenor and the finish wore off in a thin area on the edge of the bell where I picked it up. No big deal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, mine is a Keilwerth sx90r. Yes, the color is starting to where on one side of the horn as well as around some of the keyguards

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had a Shadow alto for about a year now. No problems with the finish what so ever. And I often wipe the horn after I play it to avoid tarnishing the silver plating on the keys, so there should be some wear to be seen if the black nickel should wear easily. I do the regular wiping because my silver jewellery tend to tarnish very quickly. Propably that has something to do with the composition of my sweat or something... Anyway, the horn looks like new eventhough I've played it a LOT.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I would where gloves when playing, (just kidding), but really, there is no where that it will deteriorate. I would however get a great case, and I would be carefull when holding it. The Black nickel is beautiful, but tiny scratches after time do become very numerous! That is the only thing that I do not like about black nickel Saxophones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ChuBerry47 said:
I would where gloves when playing
:D

I will surely get scratches on my horn eventually, but the laquered horns I've had seemed to get them even a bit easier. I have no doubt though that they will be more noticeable on black nickel. C'est la vie... If you don't want wear on your horn just keep it in a case and never use it!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I used to have a shadow, but couldn't stand the tarnishing of the silver. For whatever reason even with the tarnishing strips, it tarnished very quickly. for me... quite annoying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only place I have managed to get tarnish during the year of use is the inside of the right hand thumb rest. That's the place where I propably haven't done the wiping too often. I keep the horn in the closed case when it is dry and not played. That and wiping the gunk out of it occasionally keeps it spotless. Actually last time when I was play testing mouth pieces the owner who knows when I purchased the horn asked when he saw it that haven't I played it at all. Keeping a silver stuff in the open air makes it tarnish quickly. There's a Shadow tenor in my local horn shoppe on a display stand and it is tarnished pretty badly. Some tarnish and dirt would not obviously affect the playability, but I think the old warrior look does not tune well with the visual design of the Shadow. And because of my profession, I just tend to care about these kind of things also... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts