Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played one of these, I've never even seen one?

-Birdman

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Birdman said:
Has anyone played one of these, I've never even seen one?

-Birdman

Haven't played one but a couple guys on this site have them. In theory I guess they are a bit darker sounding, but other people will say finish makes little difference. They are sort of cool looking, but not my favorite finish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never played one myself, but have seen quite a few peeps playing on them and sounding great. Paquito d'Rivera being one of them. Ive also heard that they are s'posed to be darker...only way to find out is to test one....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a black 875exb tenor. It seemed to me that the black horns do have a darker sound as previously suggested., compared to the gold. Many on this forum would point out that finish makes no difference. The horn setup is all important and it is always difficult to make comparative decisions unless the different horns have been set up by the same technician to the same level of detail.

Having said that for me the black horn had a darker sound than the gold and I tried several before purchase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
404 Posts
ZAlto said:
My friend has a black and gold tenor.
I'm not sure if it's a Yamaha, though.
Well then maybe your friend should post...:|

I like to wear socks when my feet are cold...(oh wait my post is meaningless...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I had a black cat for a while...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have had a black YAS 875 since 1994. It absolutely sings. The lacquer seems to be thicker than on a plated sax, thus reducing the overtones, making it darker.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Black 875

I have played the black 875 since it was first released in the states. All my soundclips on my web site are me on a black Yamaha 875. I use a Guardala Crescent and plastic cover 2 1/2 reeds, Guardala lig, Silver plated F1 neck, and I love the sound.

I recently bought another just like it for a back up since Tenor is my main axe.

My Tenor site is - www.TenorSaxophone.US
the Sound Clips / Audio is http://www.tenorsaxophone.us/tenor_saxophone_soundclips.html

Best thing is to play one yourself and see how it works for you. Other than that, a little research into other peoples experiences might help you decide whether it is worth trying out in the first place.

My only concern with the black was how it would hold up. Since it is gold underneath, any scratch or dent would be a big bright soar on the sax. I am happy to report that 16 years later this tenor still looks great; not perfect, but it has aged very gracefully and still looks great on stage and plays better that the day I bought it.

Sound?? IMHO - I think they are darker sounding due to the extra work done during the lacquer process. I love mine and now have 2 of them.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As far as being dark when I hear Greg's (saxboy) on his balck lacquer I don't find sound it to be real dark. I think the silver neck he plays on that thing sort of off sets the darkness and he ends up with a nice edge and a tone that is neither colored to far dark or bright. With all the finish/neck/mouthpiece combos out there I think you can get to a sound you like on any finish of saxophone.

One combo I have yet to see is a silver sax with a black lacquer neck. I wonder what that would sound like.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
stevesklar said:
i always loved the look of that engraving just plain as day on black lac horn. The Coufs, Yamahas, Yanis, Selmers .... if could only afford all of 'em

oh yeah, and i think they sound good too =-)
You can sell kidneys for about 10 grand, part of your liver for 5 grand, and a lung goes for 15 grand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
YAS 82 Custom Z in black

Just sold an arm and a leg today and ordered a YAS 82 Custom Z in black. Choice was down to a YAS 62 gold lacquer or the Custom Z in black. Played side by side with a Link Tone Edge and Vandoren #3 reed the Custom Z was definitely darker and warmer than the YAS62 and exactly what I was looking for. I now have a horn to really live up to and will post impressions as the relationship develops.

Jonathan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts