Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found what is allegedly a Reference 54 tenor in black lacquer on Craigslist. Can anyone confirm that Selmer produced a Ref 54 in black lacquer? Due to the asking price ($1850) and the fact that the only black lacquer "Reference 54" I've found online is at DHGate, I'm inclined to believe it's a fake, but I wanted to make sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
All ive ever seen is antique and fewer honey lacquer. The color and price scream fake....
I had a 54. The only reason I would pay 1850 for a real one would be to flip it.
Its oen of the few horns Ive owned that I never missed.

...but all that aside..my vote is fake....and that black lacquer horns are tacky.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Don’t know anything about the Ref 54 issue, but:

Black is beautiful.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Don’t know anything about the Ref 54 issue, but:

Black is beautiful.
Yes. I have three black lacquer saxophones, and they are far from tacky. Quite elegant, in fact, as confirmed by everyone who ever sees them, both musicians and non-musicians.

But I'm confident that there has been no regular production Ref. 54 in black lacquer, either tenor or alto. Could there have been a one-off that Selmer made on a whim, or because some VIP begged for it? It's impossible to prove that such a saxicorn does not exist, but if it did, no one would be selling it for peanuts on Craigslist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
I'm not a fan of Black Lacquer, but to each his own.

I just checked my ~2008 Selmer Catalogue and no Black Lacquer for the 54 Tenor - Dark Lacquer, Rose Lacquer and Brushed Matt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
I played a black lacquer Mark6 (new ) at Beacock music in Eugene Oregon. It played amazing one of the best tenors I ever played but why do it in black it was the ugliest thing . I think they have one at Kessler so it must be a thing.?

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's a "Brand new black lacquer Selmer Reference 54 tipped bell soprano" for sale in my neck of the woods. SO many flags there.

I played a black lacquer Mark6 (new ) at Beacock music in Eugene Oregon. It played amazing one of the best tenors I ever played but why do it in black it was the ugliest thing . I think they have one at Kessler so it must be a thing.?
I'd love to put a mouthpiece on one of those different-colored VIs some day! Only seen blue, pink, and black in photos.

·
Registered
827 Posts
https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/selmer-54jbl-series-ii-tenor-sax/
So it's a 54JBL Series II ? I wish they didn't have so many variations . I think it's a Series II ref 54 in black ?
What's with the Series II and III and ref 54 ? I thought they were all separate models?
By the engraving and features it looks like it's just a Series II Jubilee ... Kessler probably just messed up on putting the "54" in the description.

Too bad all those new Selmers have gone away from hand engraving. Their machine does a decent job mimicking it but the finesse and artistic touch are long gone.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
By the engraving and features it looks like it's just a Series II Jubilee ... Kessler probably just messed up on putting the "54" in the description.
No. "54JBL" is a model number, not a name. "Reference 54," in contrast, is a model name. I guess this information is not as familiar as I believed. Here's how it works:

Model 52: Series II alto sax
Model 62: Series III alto sax
Model 72: Ref. 54 alto sax
Model 54: Series II tenor sax
Model 64: Series III tenor sax
Model 74: Ref. 54 tenor sax
Model 84: Ref. 36 tenor sax

The suffixes relate to the particular version, or the finish. J = Jubilee. BL is obvious in this case.

It's possible that all these model numbers have been assigned by the U.S. distributor, Conn-Selmer, rather than by Henri Selmer Paris, but either way they're used pretty consistently by dealers. I didn't include the Selmer sopranos or baritones here, but of course they have model numbers too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
No. "54JBL" is a model number, not a name. "Reference 54," in contrast, is a model name. I guess this information is not as familiar as I believed. Here's how it works:

Model 52: Series II alto sax
Model 62: Series III alto sax
Model 72: Ref. 54 alto sax
Model 54: Series II tenor sax
Model 64: Series III tenor sax
Model 74: Ref. 54 tenor sax
Model 84: Ref. 36 tenor sax

The suffixes relate to the particular version, or the finish. J = Jubilee. BL is obvious in this case.

It's possible that all these model numbers have been assigned by the U.S. distributor, Conn-Selmer, rather than by Henri Selmer Paris, but either way they're used pretty consistently by dealers. I didn't include the Selmer sopranos or baritones here, but of course they have model numbers too.
Thank you that really clears up the Selmer model mystery for me.

Too bad all those new Selmers have gone away from hand engraving. Their machine does a decent job mimicking it but the finesse and artistic touch are long gone.
Yes it reminded me of the engraving on my late 90's Keilwerth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts