Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom order with black nickel keys and brushed black nickel body. The previous horn I was using (Selmer BS500) was a complete pile of butt while the Barone is the opposite of it in every single way. G2 and up were in excess of 30 cents sharp on the Selmer, while on the Barone all the notes were in tune.

The keywork is excellent, especially the right hand pinky cluster. As far as the tone/etc goes... I only had about 20 minutes to spend with the horn before practice, but at least everyone sitting near me in the community concert band says that I sound better :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update that the horn is working and sounding just as awesome as it did when I got it. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any greater value for a new bari than Barone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great looking bari, congrats! Buying one of Phil's horns last month was one of the best decisions I have ever made (saxophone-wise anyways)! Every time I recommend one to any of my sax playing colleagues they always get a bewildered look and their first reaction is something like "Man you bought a WHAT, I never heard of that..." Part of me wants to keep it a secret so they don't go way up in price, but at the same time I want to let them know what they are missing.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Great looking bari, congrats! Buying one of Phil's horns last month was one of the best decisions I have ever made (saxophone-wise anyways)! Every time I recommend one to any of my sax playing colleagues they always get a bewildered look and their first reaction is something like "Man you bought a WHAT, I never heard of that..." Part of me wants to keep it a secret so they don't go way up in price, but at the same time I want to let them know what they are missing.
Don't think you need to worry - and this isn't a judgment on Phil, more the state of the economy and relative strength (weakness) of the dollar and increase in material, energy, and labor costs, but they've already "gone way up in price". In Spring of 2008 I bought my gold plated Classic tenor (it wasn't the classic then since there was no Vintage models yet) for less than $1300 these now sell for over $2100.

Still a fair price and a great horn for the money plus it comes in a much nicer gig case. However, looking back, these were really a steal a few years ago- wish I had bought a matching bari and soprano as well at the time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That horn is beautiful. I wrote Phil to inquire about a black tenor. I bought an alto, soprano and bari from him already. He never responded, which seemed very unlike him. I hope he's still around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That horn is beautiful. I wrote Phil to inquire about a black tenor. I bought an alto, soprano and bari from him already. He never responded, which seemed very unlike him. I hope he's still around.
Phil's around - I exchanged email with him this week, looking into a bari.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just curious, did you pay more because of the custom order? Tell me more about this brushed finish...it's downright gorgeous! Can that finish be applied to other lacquers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It cost the same as the normal lacquer black nickel. As far as the finish goes, it has a layer of clear lacquer on top and if scratched beneath is slightly darker grey. Nearly all of the other finishes have matte options available on the websites, but I don't think it would be too difficult to have some special customization.

I'm still super-impressed with this horn. It was a very, very good deal :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts