Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last post in this Cannonball section was "Rejoined the Tenor Fold." I love the sound and the horn but my aging body can't carry the weight, even using a shoulder harness. Played 6 songs at an open mic last night and I'm still hurting this morning. This is a bitter pill to swallow, but unfortunately, a necessary one. Going to stick with my Big Bell alto for as long as I'm able. Going to remain a follower here for the same amount of time. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. It inspires me to continue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice post,please know we are all ridding the same train tracks you are, some of us are closely behind... may I be so bold as to ask how old you are? I'm 64 & so far the harness has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
15,488 Posts
I understand. Some of the saxophones made today are very heavy. People associate this with being made better but it’s not necessary to have all that weight and still be made well. They make very good saxophones and I’ve had the same experience that you’ve had. Something I’ve been doing for a while is taking a regular neck strap that has some good length on it and just keep it over one shoulder and wearing it like a sling. It really takes the weight off and feels good. You just need a strap that has some extra length.
Maybe look into a light weight tenor rather than giving it up.
Wishing you well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not close in regards to age (i'm sure) but maybe try over the course of a couple of weeks of standing up like you are at an open mic night and playing through those six songs. Maybe that old body just needs to be conditioned a bit longer and maybe you'll get over the hump and start feeling better. Either way I wish you well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 73 years young but suffering some long standing (pun intended) injuries of a wild youth and mid life mishaps. Too many to mention. I thank you all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did try the Vandoren and it was good, for a while. I've tried a bunch of harnesses. My shoulders and back are painful with no weight and this will get progressively worse. Any added weight just compounds the problem. The alto is "doable" and I'm happy that I'm still making music.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sad to read that your problems are worse than i thought.
Here is a patent for a type of harness that skips the shoulders but still i think it could increase the pain in your back. And you need to make it yourself if you have DIY skills.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8536433
Perhaps the best will be a practising stand. The upper part of the saxophone stand tied on a monopode for cameras could do the trick.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about the back and shoulder issues...

Is using a soprano out of the question? Bb, just like tenor but whole lot lighter. It's a fun instrument/alternative to play. You could play either a straight or curvy sitting in a nice comfortable lazyboy! Save up the strain and pain for the occasional gig/open mike night!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You might consider the Saxrax Sax Stick. The standing version works for tenor as well as bari. I expect the seated version should also work. Similar to what others have suggested re use of a modified stand to hold the horn.

For harnesses, I use the BS Sling, and have found it to be excellent.

edit: It is the BA Sling. Oops. (Just shows you that BS will creep in if you are not careful.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I unfortunately suffer from a neck injury that limits my playing considerably. My fingers are very numb and less nimble (so no more clarinet) and I cannot hold heavy items. I used to play tenor, but now I’m on an alto, using the Jazzlab SAXHOLDER Saxophone Harness. The harness helps quite a bit, but always seems to slip on back. I may give the Vandoren, a try. I even thought about getting a Vibrato plastic alto, but I did not like the sound. Apparently they’ve developed a tenor, which sounds much more genuine. A tenor that weighs under a pound could be a game changer. Best of luck

·
Registered
580 Posts
OP. like many of us you are getting to grips with the aging process and our often daily fight against pain etc. My sincere advice is that if you really want to play tenor is to go out and try and handle as many good condition Vintage horns as possible. Its a pure and simple fact that they are often pounds lighter than almost of the newer models due to their thinner gauge brass & lack of extra ribbed construct ( theres a thread on here somewhere ). I have a newish horn tucked away in a cupboard which I will sell soon for this very reason.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,936 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even the alto is starting to get heavy and I'm pretty sure it's lighter than a vintage tenor. Played a one hour gig yesterday, with a Protec harness, and it was pain free. That evening was an Advil event. Being a preemptive kinda guy, I've started playing the Native American Style wood flute. It's a win-win as it has revived my love of the saxophone. Go figure. Thank you one and all for your responses. Every one is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Whatever instrument(s) you are playing, the important thing is that you are still able to enjoy music. Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts