Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got this mpc this week and tried it. My first impressions were that it sounded a bit sad, lacking edge. This is what I usually find with alto mpcs that don't work for me. I've had similar experience with stock Meyers. I also found it has too much resistance.

I've switched to Lambersons on both Tenor (L7) and Bari (DD7), so I was hoping to get similar results with the Fmaj7. I tried an M7 .09" tip a year ago and that sounded similar to my existing Lakey 5 3 mpc but it was too open for me and I wanted something less bright. So I ordered the Fmaj7 .08" tip and was looking forward to trying it out. But so far it hasn't been what I hoped. I use Rico Royal 3's. I got better results after changing to another reed but it still has the same issues.

Since these are so hard to get, I'll probably keep this piece and see if I can work with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try next, reeds etc? I'd also be interested in hearing mpc recommendations from anyone for whom Fmaj7 or Meyers don't work for them. Thanks.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Have you tried it with a Fibracell? That would very likely improve the response and get a little more liveliness in the tone. At that tip, I'd recommend a Fibracell Premier 2.5. Could also go with a Vandoren ZZ or Java 2.5 or 3.

I've freed up a few Lambersons by tweaking them, but due to the value of the piece, I recommend trying some other reeds first. Or just sell it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Have you talked with Fred about your experience and expectations?

My experience - especially with Fred's less edgy mouthpieces, is that you need to work with them for a while. Once you learn how to blow them, they can have edge on demand. Granted, I don't play alto. That has been my experience with the L, J, and Fmaj7 tenor mouthpieces.

Fred has told me before that he uses V16 reeds. You'll get more edge with a softer strength reed as well.

What ligature are you using? A Rovner will kill the sound - I prefer something like the Ultimate or Optimum ligs (without a lot of pressure on the reed).

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
The Lamberson altos mps I've tried have all been more resistant than his other pitches including the alto Fmaj7 I got in the same batch as yours. I've talk some about it here;
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66636

By contrast, the Fmaj7 sop mp I have is very easy blowing.

I think you should try going down a reed and taking some more adjustment time with your new mp.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
tjontheroad said:
The Lamberson altos mps I've tried have all been more resistant than his other pitches including the alto Fmaj7 I got in the same batch as yours. I've talk some about it here;
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66636

By contrast, the Fmaj7 sop mp I have is very easy blowing.

I think you should try going down a reed and taking some more adjustment time with your new mp.
I also got one from this batch. I think you've characterized it correctly, it's a pretty dark, focused, yet powerful mouthpiece due to its very solid core. Different than what I'm used to playing. I like it a lot, but about the same time I got this I got a Phil-tone from Sigmund451 that just feels like it matches my tonal concept and playing style perfectly. So while I think the FMaj7 is an excellent mouthpiece, it's not my first choice at the moment, but it is one that I could learn to play and be very happy with I'm quite sure.

People will get sick of me and my Phil-tone blather, but if you are looking for something else to try, Philip has been promising to make a pass around mouthpiece available for trial. Why don't you pester him and see if he'll send you one to try out. If nothing else, once someone else tries one and chimes in with a positive or negative review I'll probably pipe down about it a little.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
It's interesting how this works...

I just received my Fmaj7 about 10 days ago, and found that it has a bit more edge than I expected. I'm using a ZZ 3 reed and Vandoren Optimum lig on it. It doesn't feel any more resistant than the Morgan or Barone pieces I was using before.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Ken I use Fred's pieces on bari and tenor and they are great. On alto I like the Morgan 6M..with a Superial reed it will do everything and has power to spare. I was also really impressed with the JJ HR 6M which although a little plasticy in comparison to the Morgan is a nice Meyer type piece. Since screwing up my piece about ten years ago I've tried nearly everything out there and the Morgan is excellent.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks tj for that link.

Going to a softer reed seems to match what I found too. My current reed is on the hard side, so I switched to my previous reed which was softer, and there was an improvement. But it still needs work. I only blew it for 20 minutes or so. The other thing is that the Lakey is such an easy blowing mpc (I guess because of the baffle) that I'm probably going from one extreme to the other.

BTW, I bought this through a dealer so I don't think I would have much recourse with Fred. I'm using Fred's ligature.

I've heard good things about the Morgan as well. I use one on clarinet.

I may also try a Lamberson M6 if they become available again.

·
4,272 Posts
chitownjazz said:
I also got one from this batch. I think you've characterized it correctly, it's a pretty dark, focused, yet powerful mouthpiece due to its very solid core. Different than what I'm used to playing. I like it a lot, but about the same time I got this I got a Phil-tone from Sigmund451 that just feels like it matches my tonal concept and playing style perfectly. So while I think the FMaj7 is an excellent mouthpiece, it's not my first choice at the moment, but it is one that I could learn to play and be very happy with I'm quite sure.
It is very powerful and rich sounding without being bright. The high resistance can be a good thing while making the player to push harder thus bringing out all that great tone. I think it's just a different animal that requires taming to get the most out of it. Given time, I think it could be the "Holy Grail" that it's hype up to be. If you're looking for something that's gonna give an instant convincing WOW moment, you might look elsewhere. While I'm still using my M.C. Gregory Master Model most times, everytime so far I played on the Fmaj7 I liked it more than the last.

·
4,272 Posts
Ken said:
Thanks tj for that link.

Going to a softer reed seems to match what I found too. My current reed is on the hard side, so I switched to my previous reed which was softer, and there was an improvement. But it still needs work. I only blew it for 20 minutes or so. The other thing is that the Lakey is such an easy blowing mpc (I guess because of the baffle) that I'm probably going from one extreme to the other.

BTW, I bought this through a dealer so I don't think I would have much recourse with Fred. I'm using Fred's ligature.

I've heard good things about the Morgan as well. I use one on clarinet.

I may also try a Lamberson M6 if they become available again.
I'll report back to that thread when I get my reed order from Roberto's.

·
9,733 Posts
Another issue that may be relevant here: I measured my .080" tip opening FMaj7 and it is more like .085" on my gauge. I asked Fred and he confirmed that what he sent was an .080". So it may be that these run a little more open than advertised, which would suggest the need for a softer reed.

Anyone else measured their Lamberson tip opening?

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I first got my Fmaj7, I was switching over from a Meyer 6 with which I had used Java 3 reeds. Initially, I needed to back off a half strength to 2 1/2 Javas as I got familiar with the Fmaj7. After a week or so I was back to Java 3 on it, albeit with a bit more resistance than the Meyer. I have no GAS whatsoever for alto mouthpieces anymore.

Spend some quality time with your Fmaj7 and see what you think after a couple of weeks. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Not bright enough? I'll trade you a very slightly used 6SD for it (with a little cash to balance things). PM if interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,694 Posts
guido said:
Not bright enough? I'll trade you a very slightly used 6SD for it (with a little cash to balance things). PM if interested.
You're selling this piece?!! This is a great piece. Nice bright tone, but with a good core to it. It was too bright for me, but I enjoy darker pieces. This would be a great trade for the Fmaj7 (which I just got one as well. Tip opening was .86, and it still is too bright for me, but I think I need to live with it for some time. I thought it was going to be much darker).

·
9,733 Posts
Upawholestep said:
You're selling this piece?!! This is a great piece. Nice bright tone, but with a good core to it. It was too bright for me, but I enjoy darker pieces. This would be a great trade for the Fmaj7 (which I just got one as well. Tip opening was .86, and it still is too bright for me, but I think I need to live with it for some time. I thought it was going to be much darker).
UAWS, what tip opening did you specify when you ordered it?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I also play a Lamberson and it took awhile to dial it in. And I'm glad I did because I love the piece! I went to his house and he at first had me try an FMaj. We were both suprised that I just didn't like it and I couldn't get that "zing" from it that I was used to with my Myer 5. He then had me try a 5SB and that's what I took home (this was about 3 years ago, so I wasn't "cutting in line":) )

Like a lot of folks are saying here, it took switching to softer reeds and another brand, a drag at first but it's been worth it. I also feel that it helped me to relax my embouchure a bit: I'd gotten in a habit of tightening and kind of forcing the Myer around. I'm actually back to my old strength reeds and feel that my embouchure is better now. Anyone else experience this?

I say keep it and work on it for a while--it took me about 5 or 6 months and I love the flexibility and projection I have with mine.

Best of luck

·
4,272 Posts
Repeated post from the other mentioned thread;

Well, I just got the 2.5 hards in and it's like playing a whole different mouthpiece. It's now more punchy and brighter yet still full sounding. Much more easy blowing. Downside is that both the top and bottom of the horn are less responsive. Low end at B and Bb have a slight gurgle. The top end from the front E up have become a greater challenge. So, It's still a work in progress. I have faith in Fred. Now I need some faith in myself :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts