Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any Bay Area folks:

A Bishop Norman Williams Tribute is taking place on Saturday March 12 from 3 to 6pm at the High street Presbyaterian Church (1945 High street Oakland 94601)

There will be stories, remembrances and great music to honor Bishop with a jam session with altoist Pete Yellin and many others. $ 3 cover

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,497 Posts
Wish I could see that. Bishop was the real deal man. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I had the pleasure of taking some lessons from him when I was in San Francisco. He would always nice enough tolet me try to play some tunes at his old weekly gig near North Beach. I think the place was called The Green Room. It was an Italian restaurant I think. I know he had well over 100 bebop heads memorized and his solos were just beautiful. He was a very nice and humble man. When I took lessons from him he was living in a dingy one room hotel room near Russian hill off California street. I think the place was called the Cable Car inn or something. It was an eye opener for me about how hard the music life can be no matter how good and humble you may be.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I knew him and took a few lessons in the late 70's. I think he was living in a one room around Haight and Fillmore then. A very sweet and sincere cat who could really play bop. I heard him many times. A very good man. Pete Yellin would be great to here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I had no idea that the Bishop had passed. Too many stories and a whole lot of love for the man. OMG, that night at the Birdcage with Sonny Simmons will go down in history (for many reasons, but this is a family show).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts