Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My sons Bis B Flat key won’t stay open and he’s on his way to band camp tomorrow. I’m not pro, but seems like there should be a spring to keep open? Any thoughts/help is really appreciated!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, there should be a spring on that key. My guess is that it just got unhooked. It's a long key that extends to the F/F# linkage adjustment screw location, and the spring is typically located relatively low (i.e., somewhere below the keytouch for the G key) and is generally accessible from the rear of the upper key stack.

Assuming that the spring didn't break, this should be easy to fix. Just trace the key down along the rear of the upper key stack toward the F/F# linkage to locate the spring and relatch it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
Use glasses if you need them - its like looking for a tree in a thick woods. First work the bis key to see which rod is moving, then look along that rod for the spring and spring catch. You'll have to pull or push the spring back past the catch to hook it up. If the spring is broken you need to find a sax tech today. This spring might be the hardest one to see on a sax - I just looked at the alto I've been playing for 30 years and couldn't find it. Naturally I didn't wear my glasses but usually I can at least see what's wrong without them - not this time.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: Bis B flat key won’t stay open

If you don't have a spring hook to reattach the spring you can substitute a #8 crochet hook. If you want, you can file the opposite end flat and file a "V" notch into the end to "push" the spring when necessary.

View attachment 238920

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Re: Bis B flat key won’t stay open

Help! My sons Bis B Flat key won’t stay open and he’s on his way to band camp tomorrow. I’m not pro, but seems like there should be a spring to keep open? Any thoughts/help is really appreciated!
If the spring is in place, something may have gotten bent causing excessive friction. Does the key move freely up and down with a minimum of effort, or does it seem stuck/hard to move?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Yes, it could be either. Does the key just flop up and down, or is it simply in the closed position and it moves with difficulty ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts