Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bird laughs at Coleman Hawkins

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  hakukani 
#1 ·
I like this video....they both look so content.

#3 ·
that's what im talkin about!!!! i have this on laserdisc.... i cant stand the fact that they are doing a milli vanilli,however to see how pleased bird is to be playing with the MASTER hawk....there was no upstart,we are the new,you are the old attitude between them...parker looks like a kid in a candy store...he's tickled pink to be sitting next to Hawk....according to Norman Granz,Bird was supposed to be sitting on the other side of the stage ,and immediately moved his chair beside Hawk!!! Buddy Rich is totally unprofessional...he cant stop laughing cause he thinks the whole situation is rediculous...there are 2 videos in fact Ballade and Celebrity

#4 ·
i cant stand the fact that they are doing a milli vanilli,however to see how pleased bird is to be playing with the MASTER hawk....there was no upstart,we are the new,you are the old attitude between them...parker looks like a kid in a candy store...he's tickled pink to be sitting next to Hawk....
I don't think there was ever any animosity between Hawkins and beboppers. Hawkins' harmonic approach was perfectly suited for bop and he was part of that mintons scene in the 40's so it's more than likely that he and bird played together often.

#9 ·
That little smirk makes me laugh every time!

#12 ·
Thank you for that info!
I based my comment on a review of the film that was made of the Newport Jazz Festival 1958. In that review it was stated that this film was the first one to use cameras that could record sound the same time.
There were television recordings of Bird in 1949 - and those cameras would have had sound recording too. I'm not sure if filming with sound recording was a common practice for film at that time, though.

#13 ·
There is, however, a big difference between that and "direct to film" (which was the expectation).

I'm not entirely sure that filming with sound recording to the same file is standard practice today. I bought a Zoom H4, and most of the film sites see this device as a way to capture sound separately from the video -- which can then be remastered together later.

Come to think of it, I always wondered why Bird's fingers didn't move much in that recording. I always thought it was that he was a "close fingered" player like myself -- as opposed to flying fingers. I may have to adjust my perception there.

#15 ·
nice to see Diz with some muscles in his cheeks!!! funny,the right cheek usually goes first...and you cant really see diz's right cheek in this video which puffs out much more than the other.

#16 ·
nice to see Diz with some muscles in his cheeks!!! funny,the right cheek usually goes first...and you cant really see diz's right cheek in this video which puffs out much more than the other.
Funny, that was just what I was just thinking the same thing watching that video.

Early in it (24 sec's), Parker reaches up to the neck to do something, but it was too quick to figure out what he was intending to mess with. Stuck octave key perhaps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.