Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried a vandoren jumbo java which has a high baffle, and it was waaay too edgy and bright. Bionix also claims to have a high baffle-just how edgy and bright is it? I need something considerably darker than the vandoren jumbo java. Can you also compare to otto link or meyer rubber pieces?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Bionix has a really small chamber, its kind of like a Dukoff. Maybe try a few 2 or 3 baffle bergs or a metal Quantum?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Doesn't it have such a sharp edge that paint peels right off the walls when you play it? Or, maybe it just chips paint?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
saxmanglen said:
Doesn't it have such a sharp edge that paint peels right off the walls when you play it? Or, maybe it just chips paint?
have you tried it and you are saying that? Anyway, I started this post because I wanted to make sure this piece isn't way too edgy, I need something that is somewhat dark and warm, AND has good edge.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I'll have to say it's from others comments who have bought and sold them for that reason.

Edit: I'm currently quite pleased with a Jody Jazz HR* 9* I'm playing now. It's based more on a rubber link but has plenty of edge when pushed. I use a Rovner light ligature with a Java 3.5.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It has a very small chamber and high baffle, its NOT going to be what you want.. its like a Dukoff. I don't know what else to compare it to, Dukoff's are quite common.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
maestroelite said:
The Bionix has a really small chamber, its kind of like a Dukoff. Maybe try a few 2 or 3 baffle bergs or a metal Quantum?
I agree the metal Quantum projects but isn't all that edgy, especially w/o the spoiler. The chamber in the Bionix is smaller than a Dukoff D7 chamber- it reminds me more of a Guardala or Ponzol M2 chamber.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Vandoren has several other choices. Consider the regular Java or V16 (metal).

The Quantum has a long high baffle with a medium chamber. The Dukoff D has a medium length high baffle and a small chamber (in the throat area).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts