Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've heard a little bit of Billy Drewes playing with the Vangaurd Orchestra.
I'd like to hear some, preferably in a smaller group playing alto where he's got more room to solo than in a big band.
Any reccomendations?

Thanks
Adam

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Billy Drews has such a great tone and conception! He gets some great solos on Bill Frisell's Sweetest Punch and Blues Dream disks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I study privately with Billy when I'm home in between semesters. He plays all over NYC constantly, so if your ever in the area, just check his website or stop by the Vanguard on a monday night. Its not hard to find him playing live.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I've known Billy Drews over 30 years...we go back to Berklee in Boston from the start.

Here is a musician not afraid to be himself and step out- and just play from the gut and brain. Not only one of the best sight readers I ever met, but one of the most cliche-free non-repetive players ever!! Drews has the creative strength to do anything he wants- its a natural talent and a asset in this era. The world is a better place because of guys like Billy Drews who_TAKES CHANCES_when he plays instead of guys who play it safe.

Lets not forget his excellent clarinet playing....and the supportive playing in the Vanguard Band as a section player as well.

The music of his caliber demands a listen, and the rewards are bountiful no matter who he's playing with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bd

In '97, I saw Billy Drewes playing with the Joe Lovano Large Ensemble in Pori, Finland. On one tune, Billy was given the chance to stretch out on soprano sax. It was one of the greatest soprano saxophone moments I have ever witnessed. Billy's solo was devastating - and creative beyond all boundaries. He had his own style. Modern, but different from Liebman or anybody else. That musical moment has stayed in my mind ever since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also, listen to his solo feature on Jim McNeely's "Reflection," from the Vanguard Orchestra's album "Lickety Split" -- it is a beautiful performance.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great player, you'll find him on the Danish Steeplechase label, downloadable via iTunes Music store.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still digging Drewes.
The Steeplechase jam session disc with Dick Oatts and Jon Gordon makes for an interesting comparrison.

Anyone out there study with him? Got any stories?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Still digging Drewes.
The Steeplechase jam session disc with Dick Oatts and Jon Gordon makes for an interesting comparrison.

Anyone out there study with him? Got any stories?

Melv- Hope yo can meet him somday, my life is richer from knowing him for over 3 decades.

He uses an tenor mouthpiece on alto- sounds great and sits next to Dick Oatts in Vanguard Band and....it works.

One of the_BEST_cats and players.

Also one of the most EXACT sight readers I ever heard!!!!:shock::):line6:

·
Registered
465 Posts
A tenor mouthpiece on an alto?! What kind of tenor mouthpiece? I've got an album with Kenny Drewes on it. Gary Smulyan "Saxophone Mosaic" I think... I think he's playing alto too. I'd better check out his sound again!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Billy Drewes, not Kenny. (I'm sure you're thinking "Kenny Drew" - also a mutha, but different axe)

I've got an album with Kenny Drewes on it. Gary Smulyan "Saxophone Mosaic" I think... I think he's playing alto too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I last saw Billy Drewes about 4 years ago now with Joe Lovano's double trio gig. Billy has got be the most complete musician i saw that evening with the chops and humility to spare. there was Big Joe on tenor and wife Judi on vocals with both Scott Colley and Drew Gress on Contrabass and a drummer whose name escapes me now. Billy played soprano and alto sax, flute but mostly played minor percussion including tabla drums very authentically plus a mean drumset too! that was the energy through the whole show was Billy flowing playing and improvising parts and solos with all the mentioned instruments and Lovano in the middle of all the controlled cacophony that was great, and this by the way was promoting the then music of Enrico Caruso. a fine night of music that was quite enjoyable except for the few who left very early and making a stink about it because they expected something more straight ahead and instead heard the most melodic free jazz i heard in a long time.:treble:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts