Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Haha, not actually too bad. I dig the sound he gets, sounds pretty good actually.

His lines are pretty simple, but that's alright =] I'm sure he was nervous as hell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Frank D said:
pretty brave to jump in with another guy's horn. It could have had a 10* Link with a #5 reed!
That's for sure. I'm amazed he could get anything out of that horn in the company he was with. Whatever faults he has, lack of nerve isn't one of them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the horn issue too. That's what impressed me most actually, lol.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I bet someone probably gave him a reasonable setup to play on. Not bad really. If he would have swung it a bit more, it would have been really nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Actually I had only heard him before in the clip with some Rock guys (Arsenial show maybe?)
On this clip he sounded way better.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Didn't you guys notice it was Illinois Jacquet gave him his horn, right off his neck to play. THAT has to be nerve wracking!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Mm.. Difficult to tell how stage-managed that all is. I certainlythink it would have been arranged beforehand that he would be offered a sax in what looks like a spontaneous way. Maybe he'd been "shedding" for the previous 6 months ;) And using that very sax ;) He did sound ok, though. But not much more than ok given he's been playing for 20-30 years (?) But I doubt he was nervous - not a man to think ill of himself, from what i've noticed. I was idly wondering as i watched this whether Clinton's playing the sax was "a good thing or a bad thing" in terms of the instument's profile and popularity. Not sure there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree it was probably stage managed, but he didn't sound bad considering how little time somebody in his position has to practice.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
Ahh, the good old days.

He wasn't much of a sax player, but I still like the fact that he played it. I'm feeling nostalgic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
see, this is why Clinton was the coolest President ev-ar... he could relate with everyone in the states... that had to have been so much fun Jamming with all them K.C. boys...

true story here... in 1997, my sax mentor's father (Edward Carter II) was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor from Clinton... sometime during the reception, my teacher gave Clinton his card and said, "If you ever want lessons, give me a call" (according to him)...

FWIW, that song being played should be Bush's parting away song in Jan. 2009... the lyrics match him well...
"ooooo wo wo wo woooooo, nobody loves me, nobody seems to care...."

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
I was pretty impressed also. I'm sure there was a little planning beforehand, but I've heard him play before, and he's not bad, considering that I'm sure he doesn't have much practice time. A lot of people thought of it as a little niche thing when he was running, and elected, but his musical interest is pretty varied. I've heard rumour that he can be found listening to Peter Brotzmann on occasion. As for whether it's good or not for our 'image,' certainly it's good. At least he plays something that's not half bad, and respects musicians that are worth respect, imho. There are many worse methinks.

I also remember seeing him on Arsenio while he was running the first time, and he was actually pretty good.

-Chris S

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Mm.. Difficult to tell how stage-managed that all is. I certainlythink it would have been arranged beforehand that he would be offered a sax in what looks like a spontaneous way. Maybe he'd been "shedding" for the previous 6 months ;) And using that very sax ;) He did sound ok, though. But not much more than ok given he's been playing for 20-30 years (?) But I doubt he was nervous - not a man to think ill of himself, from what i've noticed. I was idly wondering as i watched this whether Clinton's playing the sax was "a good thing or a bad thing" in terms of the instument's profile and popularity. Not sure there.
You seriously think a guy running for President has time to woodshed???? Ha, I say, HAAA! See, in England, the future Prime Minister can woodshed all day and all night while the party does all the campaign work, but here? No way, Maestro.:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
DukeCity said:
There's a transcription of the "first presidential saxophone solo in the history of the United States" available on Dan Higgins' website. Here

Funny, I was just going to post about Dan Higgins and then I saw your comment back. Dan himself is really worth checking out -- such an impressive list of credits to his name.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
Didn't you guys notice it was Illinois Jacquet gave him his horn, right off his neck to play. THAT has to be nerve wracking!!!!
Yes, I was wondering who would pick up on this. Jimmy Heath is also on the bandstand, Joe Williams is singing.

In the years that I worked with Jacquet, he would often proudly announce from the stage that "President Clinton played my gold Selmer at his inaugural ball". So this is from Clinton's first term inaugural ball. It was not set up or rehearsed, Clinton grabbed the horn and went to town.

Jacquet's set up was a factory gold plated serie II tenor, given to him by Jerome Selmer, in Paris. His name was engraved in the bell flare. The mouthpiece was a metal Link from the '30's, given to him by Dexter Gordon when they traded pieces while they both worked in the Hampton band. It's the same mouthpiece Jacquet used to record his famous "Flying Home" solo. It was the largest lay of that time, about a 6*. The reed was a brown box Rico3.

Jacquet used to tell me that this was one of the proudest moments of his career.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If that's him on a good day, I don't want to hear him on a bad day! He's worse than me!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts