Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bilger

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  algtenor 
#1 ·
So in the never ending quest for mouthpiece perfection I was rummaging through my collection drawer and found a Bilger alto piece. I sort of remember buying it around 1994 and the only marking on it is a star. Anyone have an idea as to the tip opening?

#2 ·
I've got an old Woodwind & Brasswind catalogue from Spring 1997 that has a facing chart for mouthpieces. For Bilger alto pieces it has:

G = 58 thou' (i.e. 0.058")
G* = 63
S = 74
S* = 80
S** = 86

There is also an advert for Bilger mouthpieces that mentions the following models:
Bilger Gold Line
Bilger Silver Line
Bilger Stream-Line
Bilger Band Line
Bilger Crystal Line

Any idea which model yours is ?

Rhys

#4 ·
I reckon that the tip openings in the list I gave may mean G = Gold Line and S = Silver Line. The descriptions in the WWBW catalogue say:
Gold Line - Classical
Silver Line - Jazz/Rock
Silver Line -= Streamline (available stream, stream*, stream**)
Band Line - student model
Crystal line - student model in clear lucite

If you could say whether your piece is more like a classical or a jazz/rock piece, then I guess that the * marking would tell you the tip opening (classical = 63 or jazz/rock = 80).

Alternatively put it on a flat surface alongside another mouthpiece that you do know the tip opening for and that should give you a pretty good idea by eye.

Rhys

#6 ·
When I got my soprano years ago, it came with a Bilger that the previous owner had bought. It has no markings on it besides the name pressed on the top with gold lettering. I still no next to nothing about the mouthpiece, but I ended up playing it quite a lot. Decent piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.