Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so we speak about the gold plated bill evans signature 1ao vs silver guardala vintage pink plate mb2 :
The two pieces look very, very similar, you can see two Guardala ! The bill evans has the body a little bit thinner, and the chamber is really a little bit smaller than guardala Mb2. The sound, tone, style is the same..so which are the differences?

The main difference is the tip opening: Guardala Mb2 is around 8* (0.114), the evans is around 7*( 0.105/0.107), so imagine to have the guardala mb2 at 7*!
This creates on bill evans a very fast response, more focused sound, and a little bit brighter in general..really impressive, like a Ferrari for give idea.

I must say the bill evans is the only mouthpiece that i've played ( produced today, our times), that really gives the same great sound, feel, quality, edge of a vintage guardala. It really is a vintage guardala but even more "easy" to play! For certain aspects, it plays more " pop" and clean but it doesn't lose the solid core and warm part.

The guardala mb2 is more spread ( not too much ,but it is), in low register is a little bit fatter, it takes in general much air..it plays strong with great attack and R&B "thing".
I don't want say which is better because both are fantastic pieces (if you are looking for high baffle features and Brecker, Berg sound "thing")..i can tell you that maybe if i have to play in a situation where you have to play fast, clean, pop maybe my choice could be bill evans. If i have to play funk staff , R&B, somethig about jazz standard, mainstream, i could play maybe the Guardala Mb2. But it depends really on how you get up in the morning!!

Both mouthpiece can play all style of music if you have" all colours" in your mouth and mind. The bill evans is brighter but not an annoying bright! it has as the guardala, all complete range of frequency and it is homogeneous in all registers and you can play even with the Bob Mintzer deep and warm way if you want..so it's really great! The altissimo, high notes are even beautiful and easy in both pieces.

I've played and own jody jazz dv ( great mouthpiece), jody jazz super jet, theo wanne kali, Brancher , berg larsen steel,guardala mb2 handmade PMS Germany, sugal super gonz and in my expererience, the bill evans and vintage guardala Mb2 are really great on high baffle category...for me the best two pieces ever played!No ways!
The guardala mb2 works great with vandoren java red filed 2.5 or daddario 2H unfiled.
The bill evans works great with vandoren java green box n°3 ...even good with daddario 3S unfiled or java red 3.

If you ask me opinion about high price of bill evans i can say you that i would buy it again at the same price because if you want this type of sound at maximum level you can sure to find it in or in a bill evans signature or in a guardala vintage ( that cost less or more like the bill evans..) . The bill evans it's really a killer mouthpiece produced in our times..is like the original vintage guardala in the '80/'90 and if you want see, still improved in some things like easier control and faster articulation but all with "body and soul" :) they are like two twins where the bill evans is the one little more "nervous" or immediate.

So it depends what you want, what you are looking for..if you want be closer to the Brecker/Berg/ Evans tenor sound colour and style,( you must have first of all in your mind and mouth) the bill evans and guardala really can give the answer , the right feel to your request. Really amazing pieces, so fun to play!

P.Jordan

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Paul,

thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions about these high baffle pieces!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi brain, it's a pleasure share my impressions especially when we speak about very expensive mouthpieces..for my personal opinion, who is looking for a real and definitive high baffle piece in contemporany production, the Bill evans is the answer..i was very afraid before have and play it but i can say now that it really works amazing ( for me).

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I’ve always liked Bills playing but he’s yet another of the guys who I always though sounded better on a Link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Bill Evans could sound great even with a Link..i'm not sure about the feel you get from i link when you play it..i mean, if you have in your mind a loud, focused, bright, projective, "modern "sound , very easy and confortable, you can obtain all this and with less difficulty if you play a high baffle piece like Guardala or B.Evans..If you want get from a Link the sound of a Guardala/Evans piece you have to take much more tortous road..you could do, but Guardala/Evans it is made exactely for that! It depends which sound you want and have in your mind, and find the piece that answer easier to your needs.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a friend that tried one of those recently. He said the tip rails aren't even and that it was basically a lower than agerage Guardala. I guess the secret for Bill either lies in work plus talent or that bandana he wears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts