Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that it is that time again to say goodbye to some old pieces and find a new one. To make a long story short I want something that has a big possibly screaming sound when pushed but able to pull it back enough for softer pieces. I feel that I am getting good at this on my end. First off, I have tried the Jumbo Javas in every available size from T45-T95 and can honestly say that I don't like them very much. The pieces I have been considering are as follows. Please do not try to sell me one. I will make a thread in the marketplace when and if I am ready. Also $300 is my upper limit. So if it needs to be refaced take the price of that into consideration. Thank you.

1. RPC .120 (High Baffle)
2. Berg 120/0

Any other suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been playing a Phil Tone Custom for a while, bought used for $150 (new around $190?), and it gets a beautiful sound when played softly and can really get loud, full and bright when pushed. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm talking about Phil's own design, not the rubber Links he modifies (which are mellower).

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There's a bunch of historical and current getting a big tone on "non-metal" mouthpieces; chamber dimension, baffle, tip opening... these are much more significant. How bright are you looking to sound?

I've heard some players with a big and edgy tone playing on Bergs, but there's plenty of other options out there. I like the Saxscape prototype I've been using... good dynamic range although it favors a darker sound.

Shawn

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ive found myself always coming back to the Lakey Hardrubbers. I think for tenor I use a 6*3 and for alto I use a 7*3. Punchy sound as you would expect from Lakeys. I enjoy them a lot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you give us an example of the type of sound you want? I can think of pieces but some are brighter and some are darker. The RPC 115B I used to have was pretty huge sounding.
I have kind of developed my own sound but until I can make some sound clips I would say sort of like Brecker with a Pickett style but with less skill.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Morgan Excalibur pieces. Something with at least the medium-large chamber(ML) or bigger(The MLL or L chambers) will definitely be something similar what you may want. If you would already characterize your sound as big and/or you have developed your sound mostly the way you want, the Excalibur should be a good fit. I currently use one and love it, and one of the characteristics most people would say about my sound would be that it is 'big' (my college jazz ensemble director who is a pro sax player, and other people of the like have made these comments---just as a point of reference).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you tried a standard Java?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
...I want something that has a big possibly screaming sound when pushed but able to pull it back enough for softer pieces..
That's a perfect description of an RPC 120B. The amount of 'brightness' or edge will depend to some extent on the height of the baffle. Ron can dial that in for you if you describe what you're looking for to him. I suspect a Berg could do the job also, but my experience is with the RPCs and I haven't felt the need to look any further for this sort of thing (BIG sound, but also flexible).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Yeah, I'd just call Ron http://www.saxmpc.com

Just make sure you have plenty of time to chat with him...:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
I feel that it is that time again to say goodbye to some old pieces and find a new one. To make a long story short I want something that has a big possibly screaming sound when pushed but able to pull it back enough for softer pieces. I feel that I am getting good at this on my end. First off, I have tried the Jumbo Javas in every available size from T45-T95 and can honestly say that I don't like them very much. The pieces I have been considering are as follows. Please do not try to sell me one. I will make a thread in the marketplace when and if I am ready. Also $300 is my upper limit. So if it needs to be refaced take the price of that into consideration. Thank you.

1. RPC .120 (High Baffle)
2. Berg 120/0

Any other suggestions would be great.
Ralph Morgan Excalibur 9E

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ralph Morgan Excalibur 9E
Funny you should say that. That was the last piece I was checking out.

Also any suggestions for a ligature would be nice. I rather enjoy my Olegature for my Bellite but I don't think I want to shell out another $80 or have the patience to wait for the right size to become available for less.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok it has been decided. I will go with the RPC. Then I will have Aaron Drake fashion me one of those nice 4 point ligs to fit it. This will be more toward the $400 side but it will hopefully end this 4 year search for my optimum mouthpiece. Here is a list of pieces I have tried so far.

1. Beechler Bellite (own it)
2.Brilhart Ebolin (own it)
3. Rico Metalite (own it)
4. Rico Graftonite (owned it)
5. Link old new STM (borrowed it)
6. Vandoren V16 HR (Store)
7. Vandoren Jumbo Java (Store)
8. Jody Jazz DV (couldn't afford it)
9. Vintage Berg 120/0 (store)
10. And a few more that have slipped my mind.

Total Spent Icluding Ligs: $365 so not bad considering. Thanks everyone for the help and support through this process.

Sent from my Undisclosed Apple Related Device using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Ok it has been decided. I will go with the RPC. Then I will have Aaron Drake fashion me one of those nice 4 point ligs to fit it.
A lot of folks use the standard two screw USA basic ligature that comes with it. I use a standard two screw on my tenor rollover RPC (but not the included one, as they seem to slip for me), but a Francois Louis contraption on my tenor high baffled model.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of folks use the standard two screw USA basic ligature that comes with it. I use a standard two screw on my tenor rollover RPC (but not the included one, as they seem to slip for me), but a Francois Louis contraption on my tenor high baffled model.
The Drake is mostly for looks. I have only used a Francois Louis ligature on alto (on a Selmer Super Session) and it was nice.

Sent from my Undisclosed Apple Related Device using Tapatalk

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
A lot of folks use the standard two screw USA basic ligature that comes with it..
Yes, the 2-screw that comes with an RPC works great, so you can save some money not buying another fancy lig! Having said that, I now use a marc jean (inverted 2-screw) lig on my RPC and really like it. Can't say it for sure plays better than the standard 2-screw, but I paid for it and I'm gonna keep using it! Hey Grumps, the marc jean definitely doesn't slip.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts