Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In light of this announcement of the forum founder
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=218

our financial contributions seem RIGHT NOW to be needed more than ever.

Going through the list I see, much to my astonishment, that many, if not most, of the regular sellers (people selling gear for 4-digit price-tags) have never made a single donation (unless it happended for the period still unaccounted on Harri's list). On top of that, many of these do not even participate into any discussion, making their presence known uniquely in the Marketplace. Sort of guests who come over just in time for the meal and leave soon after.... We all love those, don't we?

Some people feel no shame in receiving without giving, so if you feel good about getting without giving anything in return you may disregard (as you did so far) his announcement. If your moral guidelines allow so, I guess you won't even be bothered to feel unwelcome by most in this forum (I am sure I am not speaking only for myself here).

If you start feeling some shame for receiving this free service (saving you listing and transactions fees on ebay, which are not marginal for the price of your merchandise), here's your chance to start: YOU CAN START NOW and ...hopefully also feel well about it ! ;)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Good observation. I'm sure Harri would welcome the added financial support from those (and I'm not suggesting who they might be) who have, to date, only received and not given. :angel4:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I think alot of names just aren't there, I've donated twice so far and never appeared on any list..is there a minumum ammount to make it? I believe my last one a couple of months ago was $50

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Even if one has sold nothing here, anyone who has spent some time has received value.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Wonder if the 'big sellers' even take the time to read other posts not in the marketplace section?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The A Train said:
I think alot of names just aren't there, I've donated twice so far and never appeared on any list..is there a minumum ammount to make it? I believe my last one a couple of months ago was $50
I just donated now. And what I found was that when you use the PayPal link, it doesn't have any place to added a greeting or comments. So all the SOTW admin sees is your payment and the "delivery address". My delivery address has the name of my little part-time consulting company on it above my name.

I don't know if they can match the name on the address up with our SOTW user names or not to put us on the list. But the important thing is that they get the money SOTW keeps going. This site is probably the greatest saxophone resource that there is.

·
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enviroguy said:
I just donated now. And what I found was that when you use the PayPal link, it doesn't have any place to added a greeting or comments. So all the SOTW admin sees is your payment and the "delivery address".
Yes, if you click on the direct link that is what happens.
Just write a PM to Harri.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Excellent post Rispoli. I've often had the same thought. It's a shame that we have some members here that make 99% (or more) of their posts in the Marketplace and nowhere else. I'm sure they'd be able to make excellent contributions (not necessarily monetary) to the forum.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Man... how could someone NOT trip on all that guilt? Is one of you my mother-in-law? :D

Maybe people can also contribute when the board becomes "Threads Gone Wild" and a moderator has to get involved and hose down the crowd.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I plan on making a contribution when I'm a little more financially stable.
(hopefully soon.)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
ez_sax said:
Man... how could someone NOT trip on all that guilt? Is one of you my mother-in-law?
LOL! I don't know Ed, are you Jewish...or Catholic?
You're good people. You post frequently with germaine comments.

Now. Go buy a SOTW mug and it will set you free! :cheers:

:D

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
fballatore said:
Excellent post Rispoli. I've often had the same thought. It's a shame that we have some members here that make 99% (or more) of their posts in the Marketplace and nowhere else. I'm sure they'd be able to make excellent contributions (not necessarily monetary) to the forum.
Agreed. I said awhile back that your contribution can be non-financial. Still, in the end money talks. I gave a lot of cash (for me) last year. By this year's end I'll likely give more. And I'm not a big seller around here. I gave to a cause that worth the content it gives me.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
gary said:
...are you Jewish or Catholic?
I'm a progressive Roman Catholic, which means I harbor guilt - but only if it benefits others.

·
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
littlemanbighorn said:
I plan on making a contribution when I'm a little more financially stable
(hopefully soon.)
I'd like to point out that when I started this thread I did not have in mind to blame those like you who are not financially safe (and neither I see you selling often here).

However, also in those cases, if you might happen to have a dusty mouthpiece in your drawer that you'll never play and perhaps it's not going to yield more than 10$ on ebay, why don't you donate here? You ask the buyer to send the money to Harri instead of you: it's that simple.
I did so during last year selling an old Runyon, my buyer "honkytone" jumped on it mostly because of the good cause (probably on ebay he wouldn't have given it a try for those 60$...).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
Selling On The Web...

Rispoli is right. Someone bump this thread every day. Not as if anything is being sold...other that SOTW for cheap.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The A Train said:
I have donated a mouthpiece and have donated money to Harri but my name doesn't have a forum contributor name. Oh well.

But yes..I think it is a very good thing to donate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
pm sent

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
rleitch said:
Man those kids grow fast! Cute pic, rleitch.

Oh yeah, Support the Forum!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
hakukani said:
Man those kids grow fast! Cute pic, rleitch.

Oh yeah, Support the Forum!
No kidding. I thought keeping him in the box might slow things down a bit, but no luck!

Rory

Amen to this post!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts