Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to have been discussed before, but I'm opening the can of worms again.

And this is modern horns of course.

Selmer, Yamaha and Yanagisawa are the big three. I think we can all agree there.

Generally, I put Keilwerth as the 4th.

HOWEVER, I have a cousin who is a new sax player. I was chatting with him about horns, and somehow, SOMEHOW, through his cursory perusal of the internet, had arrived at a big four of Selmer, Cannonball, P. Mauriat and freaking Borgani (no offense to Borgani fans, but you have to admit it's an acquired taste).

He must have gotten it somewhere. I blame the internet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don’t get the Borgani but I could imagine how P Mauriat or Cannonball could get included in such a list for a young player depending on what the local sax dealers sell. Maybe a local shop sells a lot of these brands and these are the best saxes played by the best players at his school?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Cannonball and P. Mauriat is based off of local buzz/videos of horns from NAMM, and I definitely think an argument could be made that either brand was the "4" in the big four if you wanted to. It really is the Borgani that throws me. I'll have to ask about how much Joe Lovano he's been listening to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a yamaha, traded up for a cannonball and never looked back. It just has a bit more going on. Not sure why. I don't know enough to say cannonball should be a top 4, because it certainly isn't the best known.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
What people say on the Internet is just idle chat and of course, cannonball and Mauriat have a lot of paid advertising so they come up in searches etc. The “big four“ is shorthand for the top professional horns. That’s why you don’t see Jupiter on the list.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah right, the big 4 quantity wise might be along the lines of jupiter, elkhart, yamaha and.... I want to say buffet but not sure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Am I too old fashioned if Martin, Buescher, Conn and King were my immediate association to 'Big Four'? Strictly in this order, obviously.

Of course, your post specifies modern horns, but still. My cousin would include Amati probably because that is popular in the music schools around here. I imagine it depends on what your are familiar with and being exposed to a certain brand will influence what you find beautiful. It took me a long time to get rid of my buffetitis.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I wonder what the ranking would be based on total number of horns sold and overall $ value of sales.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
This has to have been discussed before, but I'm opening the can of worms again.

And this is modern horns of course.

Selmer, Yamaha and Yanagisawa are the big three. I think we can all agree there.

Generally, I put Keilwerth as the 4th.

HOWEVER, I have a cousin who is a new sax player. I was chatting with him about horns, and somehow, SOMEHOW, through his cursory perusal of the internet, had arrived at a big four of Selmer, Cannonball, P. Mauriat and freaking Borgani (no offense to Borgani fans, but you have to admit it's an acquired taste).

He must have gotten it somewhere. I blame the internet.
What is the criteria for membership in The Big Four?

Worldwide sales? If that, then lump all the Taiwanese horns in there.

Best tenors? If that's the metric, then Borgani is certainly a contender. :twisted: :bluewink: :borg:

"Acquired taste"? Have you played the Borgani Jubilee series?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts