Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after years on my link 6* stm, i dusted off my vandoren T75 and was shocked at the huge difference in sound (using same 2.5 vd java green reed)

the t75 is a much bigger louder brighter sound ... the link has a great smooth jazz dark tone, but really night & day difference

anyone else tried both?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I've been talking about the importance of reeds forever....

It amazes me how many players don't go through all different reeds and sizes with different mouthpieces. (Yes, I know it can be a pain, and be expensive, but the rewards are invaluable).
Of course you can use what you have always used on your current mouthpiece, but that certainly may not be optimal for another mouthpiece.
One brand and size on one piece may perform completely different on another, as you have discovered here.

SH*T----2 reeds from the same box don't sound the same. :)

I had a guy recently get my Showboat alto and he tried it with a heavy reed that he was using on his other alto piece. He hated my piece with that reed, and wrote me. We talked and I realized he needed to go softer and try other brands, and now he is really happy. He's on a different size and brand now. It just takes some effort to get yourself dialed in to what you want for the feel, response, and sound on each piece.
Treat each mouthpiece individually and get the right reed brand and size to give you what you desire.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point! i was honestly shocked at the difference; its a pain but well worth it to try diff reed/mp combos -- the difference is so big its like playing a different horn.. just wow. ill do a video or audio to show

·
Registered
726 Posts
+1 on trying different reeds and mouthpiece combo. I have a STM 7 and it seems too open for me, I need to use a very soft reed (Vandoren Java 2 unfiled). I decided to try a STM with a smaller opening and bought a 6*. I tried a Vandoren Java unfiled 2.5 and don’t like the sound. Then I try the whole suite of Vandoren reeds and still can’t find one combination that works for me. Until recently I tried the Rigotti Classic 2 on it, and really like it.

Back to the Vandoren v16, yes, I also found it is nothing like the Otto Link STM. It is a lot brighter and louder. But again, maybe another reed will work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
after years on my link 6* stm, i dusted off my vandoren T75 and was shocked at the huge difference in sound (using same 2.5 vd java green reed)

the t75 is a much bigger louder brighter sound ... the link has a great smooth jazz dark tone, but really night & day difference

anyone else tried both?
Sounds like you're one of us pitiful specimens who don't like Links.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you were complaining to a reed maker/seller about his reeds he would probably suggest trying some different mouthpieces.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I still have and like both of these mouthpieces. Vandoren is definitely brighter and more focused of the two. It also seems to be louder however I can put more air through the Link. Sometimes I'd like to push Vandoren a little harder but it feels like it doesn't accept all the air.
I've posted a video comparison between them a while ago.
Here is a link: https://youtu.be/SO2vGVoZDJw

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both and used to play them alot, but definitely preferred the T75 with VD v16 reeds. Lately though, I have been mostly playing non metal mps, including 10man robusto, saxscape fat cat, and DAddario select jazz. The HR pieces are definitely more comfortable for longer sessions for me these days

·
1,305 Posts
I played a v16 t77 for about 10 years and always liked it a lot. I too had to work hard not to push it with too much air or it would break up. My metal links required too much work to maintain the focus that the v16 had naturally. Now, I have the best of both worlds with a Saxscape Live which blends the focus of my v16 with the fullness of my metal links.

·
1,808 Posts
I've got a hard rubber T75 I got used years ago, but I've never been clear whether it's supposed to be a "Jumbo Java" or just plain "Java". I've also got a a 6* "NY" link. The T75's punchier - it has lots more baffle than the Link - but I wouldn't say it was "brighter" than the Link. Maybe thicker in the midrange frequencies? I like both of 'em but I use the Link more because it plays better on the horn I play the most. One thing I'll say about the T75 - and every Vandoren 'piece I've happened to have - it played fine & didn't need tweaking like every Link I've had. Which is only a handful but still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts