Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Rico Royal Metallite M7 on my tenor. I want to buy something new and i'm looking for sound from the topic. I play on student Blessing tenor. I thought about an Otto Link or Berg Larsen. What your suggestions?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Dark and Edgy are frequently used to describe opposite tones. Words like dark, smooth, warm, mellow go together as do words like bright and edgy. What well known players have a sound similar to what you are seeking?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Balladeer said:
What well known players have a sound similar to what you are seeking?
lukaszt, I think answering this question will help you more than just describing the tone.

I.e I don't think like Balladeer regarding the terms edgy and dark as being incompatible. In fact, for pure jazz soloing my ideal is what "I" would call dark, round, big and with a cutting edge to it. So there you go. And Balladeer is not wrong. It's just semantics.

But if you say you want a sound like James Carter, or Stan Getz, or Randy Brecker, then we're nailing it down. Name yer poisin.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
SuperDave said:
gary said:
But if you say you want a sound like James Carter, or Stan Getz, or Randy Brecker, then we're nailing it down. Name yer poisin.
Randy's BROTHER has perhaps a more attainable sound on tenor...
LOL!!! The sad thing is that I seem to repeat that mistake. :shock:
But then again..if he DID say Randy I guess that would really help us out with his mouthpiece selection, nicht wahr?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
After going around the block (I'm sure I've said this before) My old selmer likes Otto Links and I concer with paullanfermeijer
IMO, Buy a metal Link and go for a reface with a baffle in it! Mojobari?
I mainly use a JVW Otto Link STM 7* with the baffle and just got a 10*, been missing the Big Sound, playing around with Fimo Clay as a baffle to dial in the Big and Edgy then send it out to Mojo for the real deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Maybe a Runyon SR with the spoiler in it. It might not be edgy enough but it would be darker.

I think a modern STM link might be what you are looking for or you might need to add some baffle.

The Morgan E series pieces might be along the lines of what you are looking for as well.

The best thing you can do is to try and get to a large music store and try out as many pieces as possible.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
You might want to consider an RPC. I was just testing mine on my Couf against some old favorites: Vandoren V16, Yanagisawa Metal, Wagner HR, a Dukoff and an SR Tech Fusion.
Results?
The RPC blew them all away. More big then edgy but really BIG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the problem. I'm from Poland and big, sax mouthpiece oriented stores where you can test mpcs are very rare. I'm asking about berg and link because these two pieces are the most popular in my country and I can find people who want to sell those pieces.

What's the difference beetween BERG and LINK. Tonal defference I mean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Links are generally easier to play. Usually, they offer less resistance and the sound that comes out is a BIG WARM sound. Links also have great dynamics.

In my oppinion, an Ebonite Berg Larsen is closer to the Link sound than a metal berg larsen. All Bergs tend to be rather edgy. and play with a Big BOLD sound. Its really for those players who just loves laying a fat sound out. Really plays with a "in your face" kind of attitude. I play a ebonite Berg and whenever I push it harder, it just performs harder and the mouthpiece has never set a limit upon me. I'm lucky to have found a wonderful Berg Larsen. The metal bergs, well, just take the big, boldness, and the full sound you get from a ebonite one, and double it.

Berg Larsens can play very softly and warm, but I find it more fun to just really lay it out when playing on a Berg, because its something I can never do on an Otto Link. I find the Otto Link to be a great piece for those songs that require a delicate and warm tenor sound. But my personal favorite is the Berg because of its raw power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.