Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the recent thread about bis keys I figured I was ready to try to start using it...

frankly my finger would get pinched between the keys often(I'm playing Selmer)... I decided to alter the key by attaching a mercury dime to it....at times it was SUPER comfortable,and occasionaly it was a little awkward.... I wasn't sure if it REALLY was a good idea or not...and I couple of hours later i came across that beloved video of Dexter playing Lady Bird...Lo and Behold! his Bis key is the same size as all the other keys...that's a Conn I believe...
yesterday i was in the studio with my buddy Thorsten Skringer who plays a Yamaha Custom Z.....what a comfortable Bis key...its really smack tight right up against the B key....
so I was just looking through Saxpics...Conn has that nice big key,Holton looked pretty decent...and the Keilwerth Peter Ponzol seemed to have a nice sized Bis key

so lets talk Bis keys!!! Which horns do you like.... and if a horn has an uncomfortable bis key does it make you change your hand position???:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay King ,Martin and SML also seem to have nice bigger Bis keys....Yanigasawas is smaller but in that nice snug next to the B key position....

anyone ever have the same problem Im having when switching to a selmer from another brand of horn??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Yeah, going from my Yamaha 62 to a Yani T880, I found the Yani bis to be smaller and closer. It was surprisingly tricky to use. I am sure I would have adjusted if I played the Yani long enough. But I didn't. (For me, the ergos all around are perfect on the Yamaha.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
The bis keys on all my horns (yamaha and selmer) are pretty much the same. I had an old bundy tenor and an old signet at one time where the bis key was a bit further away from the pearl than I liked, but I've never pinched my finger in between. Are your fingers right on the pearls?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hakuni,that's the point I'm a little confused about....do you angle your finger i guess approx 30degrees to hit both the B and Bis...or do you shift your whole hand down slightly and come straight across????

one problem i have with my Mark 6 is the concave pearls...I really hate them,but especially on the bis key...its such a small key,*** does it need to be concave for???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
My B&S works for me. Love the front F too. Just feels right to me.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
hakuni,that's the point I'm a little confused about....do you angle your finger i guess approx 30degrees to hit both the B and Bis...or do you shift your whole hand down slightly and come straight across????

one problem i have with my Mark 6 is the concave pearls...I really hate them,but especially on the bis key...its such a small key,*** does it need to be concave for???
I played oboe before I started using the bis key for Bb. Oboe has a 'half-hole' key. That's probably where I learned the movement for the bis key. I move my entire finger down to cover both keys. Yeah, the concavity is not necessary, but it's there. I play with my fingerstips coming straight down on the pearls. I know many players, especially if the have big hands and long fingers, tend to have their wrists too high. I try to address the keys perpendicular to the horn, with my wrists in a their neutral position. My pinky almost touches my ring finger.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for that hak... does your index finger fork somewhat,or stay straight?? i must say I'm a bit more confused thinking about it with the fingertip on the pearl,as the fingertip needs to touch 2 pearls... thinking of it as the finger coming across it seems easier to hit both keys closer to the knuckle(as,of course its wider)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
I just hit the b key and bis key the same way I hit the b key by itself. I swivel my finger at the third knuckle.

I used to be married to a cellist. String players constantly think about the mechanics of their playing, so I got into that aspect of my playing for while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts