Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
These horn tend to play brighter than a Raven model B-ICE-B. Personally not my favorite because the silver tarnishes easily and is too much of a pain to keep clean if your concerned about asthetics.

The Hot sput does play a bit louder than the Raven aswell, but if you want sheer volume, I'd skipt the hot spur and go for the Brute. Very loud, little dark sound, and doesn't require much cleaning.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,498 Posts
I just got one. The first thing I noticed is how light the action is without any bounce(causing burbling sound) I've seen and played a lot of M6's with light action and they always had bouncy keys. I switched to a Keilwerth years ago because of this problem.
I tried it next to a Raven. I must confess I liked the Raven's sound a little more but as a Super20 Fan, I couldn't resist the silver neck and bell.
Good to know about the tarnish issue. I'll have to be sure to keep it clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
+1 on the TARNISH. I purchased a HOT SPUR Tenor about a year ago from another forum member. I love the horn: nice, rich, full sound...., I plan to keep it for LIFE.

However, the way the silver bell tarnishes and shows water spots is the main negative about this horn.

·
1,498 Posts
I have to disagree on the tarnish issue.
The inside of the bell is shiny silver and will show water spots but the cloth that comes with the horn wipes them off in a jiffy.
I've had it about a year. The rest of the horn is matte finish and doesn't show any tarnish at all.

At the gig the I put it on top of the grand piano and it looks pretty impressive sitting under a small spotlight. . I'll try to remember to take a picture of it tonight.
Here's what it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seKDOvsPoXU

·
Registered
469 Posts
Revived this thread to prove I used the search function and to see if there would be any recent input on the Hotspur finish. Played a Big Bell alto and considering a purchase. is the silver really that much work to prevent tarnishing?

·
1,498 Posts
View attachment 81292 Well it's been several years and I think I polished it twice. It's been at least a year since the last polish.
btw
I've really grown to hate the thumb rest.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks for the pic. It's much better than those in the Cannonball catalog and website. Your pic looks like a matte finish on the bell and bow. Are the dark spots near the bell just a natural aging?
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just noticed in your earlier post that the horn is a matte finish except inside the bell. DOH!!!!

·
1,498 Posts
View attachment 81356 Yes the only parts that shine and need to be polished are the inside bell and keys . which I'll probably get around to doing sometime ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
What do you hate about the thumb rest? Can it be replaced? Going to order a Hotspur and wondered if you had any other issues with yours.

·
1,498 Posts
What do you hate about the thumb rest? Can it be replaced? Going to order a Hotspur and wondered if you had any other issues with yours.
I think the real problem is the horn is incredibly heavy. I end up with a really sore thumb if I play it a lot at one time .
It doesn't allow for very much adjustment. If I could get it to stay at 1:30 then it might be more comfortable for me. I'm going to end up trying to wrap it in something. The replacement thumbrest and kit at music medic are pretty expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts