Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you say are the most influential sax players (alto or tenor) in the big band/ swing style?

I am currently listening to Lester Young, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Hernan

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Hernan123 said:
Who would you say are the most influential sax players (alto or tenor) in the big band/ swing style?

I am currently listening to Lester Young, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Hernan
Marshall Royal-alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey Hernan123

I'm surprised you didn't get more advice on this question! A must listen is of course any classic Count Basie recordings. Start with the reissue of the "Atomic Basie" sessions from 1957-58 on Bluenote and you'll get a nice dose of the fabulous Marshall Royal too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ar&field-keywords=atomic+basie&Go.x=10&Go.y=7

Rory

ps. I'm so into Lester Young these days I may never get out again!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
rleitch said:
Start with the reissue of the "Atomic Basie" sessions from 1957-58 on Bluenote and you'll get a nice dose of the fabulous Marshall Royal too.
Actually, start with the Jones-Smith Incorporated recordings with Basie and Lester Young. Lester's solos on that first recording is just all about swing sax playing you'll ever need to know.

Here are a few others: Coleman Hawkins, Wardell Gray, Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Illinois Jacquet, Zoot Simms. Some of these crossed from swing era to bebop influence but nevertheless retained thier swing orientation, particularly rhythmically.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Erm, Serge Chaloff (Woody Herman's Second Herd) and Harry Carney (Duke Ellington), baritone.

Come on, guys. You're killing me here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts