Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been playing lead tenor recently for a local big band, and it's inspired me to try my hand at arranging; it's something I looked at in college but never finished anything.

Anyway, I posted an arrangement of No Me Esqueça in the monthly thread (cheat cause it's not original....), and here's an arrangement of Everlong by the Foo Fighters, for vocalist. Apologies about the terrible vocal sound, need to get a real singer.... the horns aren't so shabby for samples these days mind.

Score and mp3 here (haven't sorted the parts yet, if you want them, drop me a line); recently updated to get the proper articulations in on the repeated sections, which was a bug in Dorico til now.

Everlong - Mp3
Everlong - Score

Would love feedback on the voicing and parts of the arrangement, whether it flows etc.

Reactions: Roundmidnite

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
930 Posts
Thriftbooks is Great (post #2 stomias)
They buy books by the pound that were donated to the Salvation Army and Good will, then organize them and re-sell them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah no worries at all!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
This is GREAT writing, so much can be said for shure after one time listening and reading! I wasn't familiar with the song;
awesome creativity to hear a bigband swing style number here and be able to write that down!
Since you asked for details (I'm no expert in writing for bigband but did some arranging much less advanced than yours): Your writing for every musician/section always seems to be fun to play, no redundant parts or boaring repetitions, interesting textures all the way through the piece. Great rhythmical interlocking between the sections and (after one go) I have heared some really interesting passages (those chromatically descending chords in the saxes + many more). And everything is written down in a very professional way.
In a nutshell: This is a killer arrangement and if I were a Foo Fighters Fan, I would absolutely go crazy hearing this piece in this style in a concert. Your band should find a singer and play this arrangement At ONCE!!!!! :)

• Love
Reactions: Mrblackbat

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, really kind words! Thank you and really glad you enjoyed it. Fortunately we do have a singer, I just need to make sure they're comfortable with the key....

Reactions: Taragot

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Great to have an ensemble as a homebase which plays the stuff you composed between rehearsals.
Please upload a recordings If you can!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah will do if we can get set up. And yeah having an actual band to play stuff is hugely inspiring, especially given we have some great soloists!

Hence the big trombone solo on this one:

Waltz For Debby (Bill Evans)

Mp3 - Waltz For Debby.mp3
Score - Waltz_For_Debby_Score

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts