Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be that my Big B has aged nicely over the years.

Do you think it has aged naturally, did it receive some treatment to unlaquer or could you get an unlaquered version back in the days?

Regards!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
long shot but guessing a delacquer or a bare brass horn. Aged nicely indeed. No signs of major buffing or OCD hand polishing over the years, wich is a good plus.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OCD hand polishing over the years.
Googleing what OCD means, Google came up with Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Obsessive about something??? Hell ye!!! Obsessive about Saxes (Preferably Bueschers) But I guess thats not what u meant Juan.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
I think Juan meant it hasn't been obsessively polished over the years, which could result in excessive wear on the brass and the engraving. Nice horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That's a super good looking sax. I'll guess that is was always bare brass. Of course, the cellulose lacquer might have come off while the horn body and keys were having a long soak in a shop's cleaning vat awaiting rebuild. But that's only a guess too. And it may have turned patina brown while left in the case for many years. That might explain the uniformity of the patina. The brown patina on my True Tone is not nearly that uniform.

No matter how it happened, that's a beautiful horn. If I ever loose my OCD and quit polishing my own Big B tenor, I hope it eventually looks like yours. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
JL got that right, I mean no one overcleaned it. The best way to keep the horn IMHO (clean but not shiny)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts