Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my Big B a 156? The number 156 isn't there, however it displays all the other qualities of a 156, ribbon keyguards, engraving etc. (except maybe the kings blood rollers). According to my investigation the serial number puts her around 1947.
Could any of you Buescher gurus help me out with a little more info. Specifically why no #156 and why the dark red rollers?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at this thread, which might clear things up for you.

FWIW I’ve got a 270xxx or so Model 127 Aristocrat that has rollers that color in the G# cluster. Rollers for low Eb / C don’t match b/c they are obvious substitutes for whatever was original.
Thanks Hornlip! After reading through posts for the past 45 minutes, I have come to the conclusion that I have a 155 model. The only odd thing is is the dark red rollers, which IMO make my horn even more unique as it sure appears these rollers to be original, (they just look aged).

Anyway, I just got the horn back from being setup and fixing some other issues at Saxquest. They discovered that it had a slightly bent body tube, adjusted key heights to set the intonation, fixed a leaky neck tenon, minor dents, etc. WOW, it plays beautifully paired with my new 10mfan The classic! Feel like Ive hit the jackpot!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Thanks Hornlip! After reading through posts for the past 45 minutes, I have come to the conclusion that I have a 155 model.
You're probably correct. My understanding is the 155 came in the middle of the Big B run, after the 127 and right before the 156. The bell shape is different on the 156; it has a larger bell flare and the bell itself has a different shape, kind of 'kinked' outward. One thing for certain, based on the bell shape yours is definitely not the 156.

Aristocrats of this era are all great tenors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably correct. My understanding is the 155 came in the middle of the Big B run, after the 127 and right before the 156. The bell shape is different on the 156; it has a larger bell flare and the bell itself has a different shape, kind of 'kinked' outward. One thing for certain, based on the bell shape yours is definitely not the 156.

Aristocrats of this era are all great tenors.
Thanks JL. YES, it doesn't have the kinked bell, nor the 156 stamp. Also the serial #308xxx puts it in the 155 range. But the final and I think most convincing thing, is that it measured with the shorter measurement from bottom of the bow to top of the neck tenon, as was discribed in a previous thread that stated the 156 measures a 1/4 inch longer.

Do you know anything about the bloodred rollers?? Whats the history there, if any?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,812 Posts
. . . .

Do you know anything about the bloodred rollers?? Whats the history there, if any?
I don’t, not in particular. I don’t know for sure that they’re original to the horn. It’s obviously had some significant damage and repair in the past.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
I don't know about the rollers. Maybe they got stained somehow? Or maybe the original rollers were replaced for some reason, but then again they look older than the horn. Doesn't really matter as long as they work.

But hey, yeah I'd agree you hit the jackpot! I have the two horns that bracket yours, the earlier 'series one' and the later 156. Both fantastic horns and I'm sure the 155 is also great. It would be interesting to know if the 155 is closer in sound to the series one (127) or to the 156. Or maybe right in between, the 'best of both worlds.' Maybe maddenma knows and could chime in here?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts