Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, of the BIAB users out there... any favorite styles you would like to share?

I particularly like latin (brazilian samba, bossa) backgrounds, and while I've played around with the "Jobim" and "Charlie Byrd" styles, I'm looking for something a little more jazzier like the guitar comping on the What's New play along that Jamey did. Something that cooks a little more, a little more popping. Any suggestions?

Shawn

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Hi:
I am starting to use BiaB as I got recently a Tenor and and an Alto sax and there is very difficult to find people with enough patience to rehearse with me as am just returning after many years out of the music. I live in a Tropical country and I like Latin music, but my preferences are the Bossa, Samba from Brasil , Bolero and Son from Cuba. As you know, there is a version named Real Band with some "real Tracks" that can generate tracks using recordings of "studio musicians" that give more realism to the music and it does not looks so artificial.. In this area of computers the AI ( Artificial Intelligence) has a long road to transit until we can have "virtual partners" with us. I am curious , too, to know wich styles are preferred for users.best wishes

·
Registered
928 Posts
Curious, of the BIAB users out there... any favorite styles you would like to share?

I particularly like latin (brazilian samba, bossa) backgrounds, and while I've played around with the "Jobim" and "Charlie Byrd" styles, I'm looking for something a little more jazzier like the guitar comping on the What's New play along that Jamey did. Something that cooks a little more, a little more popping. Any suggestions?

Shawn
You might have a newer version that I currently use. Learning how to create Hybrid styles may be your ticket. Earlier versions exported MIDI files at 120 ppq. Very important to keep in mind if you prefer editing using a third party multi track sequencer allowing better editing precision at 960 ppq. Save the file at 120 ppq and the finished tracks are then ready for import into BIAB where the file can then be saved as a .STY if desired. HTH

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip on the hybrid styles, as I've manually done some of that in the past after exporting as midi, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of features in the newer BIAB that I'm not familiar with. An example, some of the tracks have great aux percussion that would nicely spice up the Charlie Byrd quartet style which is somewhat vanilla, but useful as the primary rhythm parts aren't too cluttered/busy. Or, adding the soft strings from a more contemp style to an "earlier" one....

shawn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
757 Posts
You can edit a style that you like by playing in new parts into BIAB. I added some horn lines to my blues, reconstructed bass lines, added some guitar licks, etc., to one of the existing styles. You can also copy bass lines, piano licks, horn stabs, etc., from one style to another. You can specify when a particular line will play (for example, you could make a bass line that only plays if the following chord is IV, so that the bass will walk into the IV chord). If you create multiple lines with such parameters, the program will choose from them randomly, and yet they will still fit the changes. Dig a bit deeper into the program and play the licks you want to hear. You have only to play all of them in the key of C, and they will appear correctly in your chord changes when the song plays. If you know something about horn voicings, or piano or guitar voicings, you can get more realistic playing from the virtual band.
Sax Magic

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I have a two year old version of BIAB and have never liked it because of the midi sound of the programs. Have they improved it to the level that can compete with Professionally made studio loop discs?

B

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dear ModMan, this all depends on your SoundCard`s Midi Sounds and not BIAB.

If you have a professional Keyboard you can control it through MIDI and play BIAB through it !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,169 Posts
Soundcard midi is dead.

Pretty much everything in music programs is done with real samples and physically-modeled sounds now.
MIDI simply triggers and controls the sounds be they samples or synthesis. Or for that matter lights, fx, and other stuff. MIDI is very much alive and well though relatively unchanged for 35 years. External samplers and synths are also still very much in use. MIDI is the "bridge" between these outboard pieces of gear and your computer.

Sampled loops and "riffs" have become more sophisticated over the years as well as single hit stuff. You can turn out tracks in most any editing software these days that are pretty much indistinguishable from live studio tracks. It mostly depends on how much time you're willing to invest in learning the chops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts