Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you who have the entire Real Book collection for BiaB, achtung!
I got a new computer with Vista included, installed BiaB, then added my Real Book files and, les voila! the sucker didn't work.

Contacted pgmusic and the rep said that BiaB no longer updates for new Windows OSs nor supports the MGU files that my Real Books are in. I asked for a way to convert the MGU files so Vista could read them and he wrote that I was SOL.

I've used these waaaay more than I've used the Aebersolds. I use them for teaching as well (slowing down tempos, etc). So I either live on like they don't exist, or partition my hard drive and put Windows XP on it just for these files. Wonderful. :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Gary, I have BIAB 2006 running on Vista and I don't have any problems with old MGU, MG1, MG2, etc. files running or playing like they're supposed to. Maybe you can e-mail me one of your MGU files and I can see if it works on mine.

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agent27 said:
Gary, I have BIAB 2006 running on Vista and I don't have any problems with old MGU, MG1, MG2, etc. files running or playing like they're supposed to. Maybe you can e-mail me one of your MGU files and I can see if it works on mine.
Wonderful. First I'm going to check on something and then I'll surely send you a file if it doesn't work. Thanks Clayton!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since i moved to Vista, BiaB 2006 isn't working anymore here aswell. When trying to see the sheet, i get an error message about pg music font not being installed.
Not sure it's the same problem as you Gary. And i must admit, i have been too lazy to try to get this problem solved, so i guess it's just some additional info for people using BiaB on Vista.

Been all Aebersold for me since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I 've bought a new computer with Vista on it and the older versions of Cubase, Wavelab and Finale were not working anymore..
So I 'm looking for a solution.. so beware for Vista.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Gary,

if you have access to an older machine you could open the MGU files, export as midi and then import those midi into biab, no?

I'll only go to Vista kicking and dragging and only if they force it on us at work, but at the rate they move I may be retired first. (and I have about 12 years to go). Stickin with XP and actually looking at some linux derivatives. (but that's just the geek in me)

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got mine fixed (at least for the moment).

I reinstalled BiaB and updated it. In the Real Book none of the files would open automatically and I kept getting the "can't open" message, so I had to find BB in the directory and open each one of them individually (by file type, not each song) but it still was a chore and took some time. The good thing is that when you forced one file type to open in BiaB, all other files with the same suffix converted to BiaB as the default program in which to be opened.

So it seems OK. BTW I'm having problems with Sibelius 4 also. The playback sounds like someone leaned on an electronic keyboard. It's horrible. So after getting unhelpful advice from Sib. "help" staff, I found a patch someplace that says "reset Sibelius Kontakt" and saved on my desk top. Now every time I open Sib and playback, I have to reinstall that patch. Every single stinkin' time. But it works.

Anyway, back to BiaB. What I find so lame is that the techie told me to forget it; that it was a lost cause. I don't now whether to just send him an email giving him the solution or rip him good and contact Peter Gannon because this is pretty lame. Of course if I get this guy again on the help line it might be problematic if I blow the whistle on him so...

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. This is one of the reasons I'm here. It's good to know folks will do their best to help when you need it. Cheers and have a good week!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Vista has a "Program Compatibility Wizard" that allows old xp programs to run on Vista. Use the search function to find it.

Both BIAB and Sibelius advertise their programs run in Vista

Dont know if this applies to mgu files

·
5,453 Posts
Vista not working for you?? No problem! Just one of the many Microsoft undocumented features and enhancements you power users have finally come across!! :D :confused: :toothy10:

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nefertiti said:
get a MAC!!!
I'm more partial to Burger King, myself. :D

ratracer, hardly a power user here. I'm using Vista because that's what came with my new computer.

·
5,453 Posts
gary said:
I'm more partial to Burger King, myself. :D

ratracer, hardly a power user here. I'm using Vista because that's what came with my new computer.
Just kidding a little with you guys having to use Vista too. Just got my daughter a laptop for college. Guess what? It came with Vista. Can't buy a new PC-based machine without it! And guess what? Had issues with making the thing connect wirelessly with the university's network. I'm no power user either but this was a no brainer sort of thing. The sort that Microsoft seems pretty good at foisting upon us unsuspecting masses! :)

Also, power user is in the eye of the beholder! With the software you're using, and got to work by the way, and with your substantial number of, and substantive posts, you're pretty much a power user compared to yours truly! :D

BTW, took the plunge last year a bought a Mac to network with/play around with at home. Very sweet! :thumbrig: Almost got my daughter a Mac laptop for college but found a sweet deal on a laptop and she didn't really care so saved a couple hundred dollars. All she needs is email access and a glorified typewriter. (iTunes is optional :D )

(Although, if I configured the PC laptop more closely to the Mac, the price delta dropped dramatically!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Apple beckons....

And a Windows machine IS a Mac....just a bad copy with 2 OSs running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My new Vista infected system runs BiaB ok. What it doesn't do is take my little keyboard. I found a new keyboard from a friend with a USB input - but now need a driver....that doesn't exist!. At the moment, I'm keeping the old PC to run keyboard, BiaB and create the backing tracks etc and then moving all to the new PC for better sound and speed etc.

·
5,453 Posts
Alun Bliss said:
My new Vista infected system runs BiaB ok. What it doesn't do is take my little keyboard. I found a new keyboard from a friend with a USB input - but now need a driver....that doesn't exist!. At the moment, I'm keeping the old PC to run keyboard, BiaB and create the backing tracks etc and then moving all to the new PC for better sound and speed etc.
Cool! Another undocumented Microsoft feature. :) Gotta love the Vista virus. And see, you've already got the technical solution figured out! :D

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alun Bliss said:
Alun, I'm using a Midisport (from M-Audio) converter that takes the MIDI input/outputs from my keyboard and runs a USB line into my computer. It cost around 50 Euro if I remember right. I downloaded updated drivers from G-music's internet site.

·
5,453 Posts
Who needs Microsoft technical support and being on hold for hours on end when you've got all the answers on SOTW!! :thumbrig:

Now, where were you guys when my broadband went down for three weeks when Verizon "seamlessly" upgraded my DSL to FIOS!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa......... :cussing: :angry4: :protest: :cry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts