Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am wondering what I can do to remove the lacquer from this ligature? I know house hold cleaning solutions probably would strip it off but Im not sure how strong BG ligature lacquers are. And dipping it in a tub of bleach is probably overkill x 10.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Demolisher_2000 said:
Hello,
I am wondering what I can do to remove the lacquer from this ligature? I know house hold cleaning solutions probably would strip it off but Im not sure how strong BG ligature lacquers are. And dipping it in a tub of bleach is probably overkill x 10.
Any suggestions?
Acetone(nail polish remover) - chlorine bleach - or polish it off with a circular tool like a Dremel
Martin

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Since this will be my first time doing such a thing, is there a way to know that the lacquer has been stripped off successfully?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
It might feel slightly rough, like a horn does where there is lacquer missing.

Why are you wanting to strip the lacquer off?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To conduct some finishing tests, and this is an expensive piece of jewerly to be doing it on so I want it to be perfect!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys one more real quick question. When the lacquer is on the ligature, will the ligature conduct electricity or not?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Demolisher_2000 said:
Guys one more real quick question. When the lacquer is on the ligature, will the ligature conduct electricity or not?
Yes. Lacquer provides NO insulation. Sounds like you're planning some electroplating. If that's the case, the plating won't stick well to the lacquer...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
...Hence the need to strip it.

It all makes sense:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the answers.
I thought that was a stupid question to ask whether lacquer would transmit electricity or not. Duh of course not! I was testing it to see if it conducted electricity or not and I didnt think the process would be that easy but it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts