Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carried my horn in one of these cases for a couple of years even though I had been warned about the unreliability of the latches. I thought I was being extremely careful until a week ago when all three latches popped open snd dumped my VI alto out on a concrete floor. I consider myself extremely fortunate it wasn’t damaged worse, but it was still so completely out of whack that it cost me a couple of hundred dollars to put right again. Be warned, these cases are an unacceptable risk and should be shunned!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,172 Posts
well people tend to favor latches over zips but anything can go wrong with anything! (Obviously)

I can’t imagine what could have caused 3 latches to all open simultaneously though, but there you go!

You were lucky in the end

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I should be receiving this one any day now from Matthew's Muziek. I better get out to Home Depot for a bungee cord.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this. I carry my tenor in a Cabine and once one of the backpack straps caught on a latch and flipped it open. After that I started locking at least two of the latches when I carry the horn anywhere. I try to give that advice anytime I see a thread on these cases.

Andy

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
This is still the best case I’ve known of in the market for many years. I use one for my primary tenor and take it everywhere. Light, compact and protective.

Worst I’ve experienced was catching one latch open occasionally unexpectedly from catching on clothing or something. Probably once a year or so.

For longer trips I use a Velcro strap looping around the case through the handle. There is no way the case opens with that in place.

On the flip side I used to carry a Selmer zippered case and once I didn’t notice I had not zippered it closed before lifting it to put on my shoulders. My Selmer hit the ground and was significantly damaged.

As milandro said every system can fail.

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
396 Posts
It has always been my fault when the case goes unlatched. That is why I have become more open on using zippers because will not open even if you only zipped them 1/4 of the way. This is the first time I am hearing these on BAMs. My lowly SKB has been around for a while and will stay shut even with one latch. Compare the latch on those vs BAM and the SKB is not as great. I had to let it go after the screws holding one latch gave out and forced me to upgrade in this case a BAM zippered case.

If indeed they opened on their own, you can recreate it by banging or jolting the case and if it does - then message BAM

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I was warned and thought I knew better as well until the case popped open on me. Don’t complain when it happens to you, you have been warned! There are enough cases available that don’t suffer from this fatal defect, I don’t think anyone needs to risk their instrument in one of these ridiculously expensive BAM products! But suit yourselves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,459 Posts
Reedoubler
Sorry about your bad experience with that Bam Cabin model.
I was looking to buy one that a guy has on kijiji for sale,glad that i changed my mind on that one.
Actually those latches made me think twice.
Can t understand why such a great companie as Bam would put those unreliable latches on these cases! Don t they make tests,or asks proffesionals there opinions on things like that!?!?
Soft cases from Bam have zippers like mind,,they should have kept that concept.
Hope that your alto plays just a great as it did before that incident!!
All the best
Saxobari

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I used to carry a Selmer zippered case and once I didn’t notice I had not zippered it closed before lifting it to put on my shoulders. My Selmer hit the ground and was significantly damaged.
I happily use zippered cases to enclose my alto (ProTec XL Contoured Pro Pac) & soprano (BAM Trekking). However, in a post-gig rush & bumble to pack up & split, one can fail to notice that a zipper is open. (How do I know? Don't ask!)

A solution that works perfectly for me is to attach brightly colored zipper-pull extensions. These add a bit of length & catch the eye, even on a ProTec with Velcro flap covering the front-center location where the standard pulls meet. They'll also make zipping/unzipping a little easier if you have hand issues.

Many retailers of backpacks or camping gear sell ready-made zipper-pull extensions that can be looped into standard pulls. Or you can make your own out of thin paracord & snap-lock cord ends. Etsy is a good place to find extensions or materials to make them, in a wide variety of colors plus reflective, day-glo, etcetera. A search for "paracord zipper pull" will get you started.

Typically you'll need two for the main zipper that closes the case, & one or two for each external accessory compartment. I do recommend getting contrasting colors to distinguish between the main zipper & each compartment, so it's clear at a glance which zippers are open or closed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I used one on tenor, and always made sure to lock the latches (it comes with two keys). All the best!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me with a cabine a couple of years ago. In my instance I had the case/horn (tenor) on my shoulder and was reaching onto the floor board of my car to retrieve something . The pressure in the middle of the case from my hip when bent over caused all three latches to pop open simultaneously and the horn landed flat on the pavement . To this day the worst sound I’ve ever heard . I still Use the case but now I am very careful to always have my arm over it when I’m carrying it as an added precaution. . I too was lucky . The horn landed dead flat on the pavement so no dents , but every single key was knocked out of alignment and it cost a couple hundred to get it going again . A bungee cord is a nice backup plan if you already own a Cabine . If you are considering buying one I’d take a look at the Boston sax shop ambassador case instead . Sturdy Butterfly latches like a Walt Johnson , and a slim protective outer shell and profile and very light like the Cabine. Best of both worlds . Also an outer pouch to hold accessories . These cases are often out of stock at the boston sax shop because of their popularity but woodsie’s music in Ohio carries them as well. I bought one from them for my alto .

·
Registered
146 Posts
I picked up a Cabine Panther alto case earlier this year, and even though it was pictured online with three latches, it came with only two, and yeah, they pop open pretty easily. I lock the case always when carrying it, and will probably put a strap around it. I contacted BAM customer service, and they were nice and responsive, but confirmed that they changed the design and only do two latches on the alto version now. It’s a quality case, I like it overall, but it’s a super snug fit and it’s hard to imagine how a mouthpiece could actually fit in the little ”divot” for that purpose underneath the body tube. The pouch that comes with it for storing the neck in the bell is also padded and bulky. I decided to keep it, but am not sure I’d recommend it, and I hope they do another design pass and rethink latches, mouthpiece storage and the bell pouch. (Edit: adding that I’m using it with a ‘45 BA alto and a Yanagisawa A880; the BA fits best.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Cabine is a great case, but those locks are too easy to trigger open, and when you close them, you sometimes need to check they are indeed, locked. I mainly use Hiscox cases now, bulkier, but IMO, more secure.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,771 Posts
I sell these in small volumes, usually as add-ons to purchases, and no one's ever reported anything like this happening to me -- but I appreciate/note that there are 2 firsthand claims above of this happening, and statements about other threads or claims about it.

If any one here bought a Cabine from me, and had this kind of experience, I want to know about it, so please drop me a line.

I'm not doubting your experience, reeddoubler, but I do doubt that the cant of the thread reflects reality accurately. It sounds like something that should definitely be looked into by the company. I'm sure they don't want it to be "the case" that their latches are subject to spontaneously failing, and probably if they know about the problem they will try to correct it.

I'll write them to try and make sure some notation is taken about this.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The clasps were the reason I didn't buy one, I got a Trekking, with zips, and have never regretted it.

Reactions: saxobari

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I also purchased a Bam Cabine tenor case for a Mark VI that I had. The case to me looked cheap. :unsure: Not only did the latches unlatch easily but the case warped as well. The case had a slight smell that I didn't care for so I placed it outdoors for awhile to air out, it wasn't even hot, and the case warped, the case wouldn't even close/shut right. :mad: I took it inside my house and it took several days for it to get unwarped...no mo Bam for me!:mad:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,691 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me with a cabine a couple of years ago… all three latches… pop open simultaneously and the horn landed flat on the pavement. To this day the worst sound I’ve ever heard. …
I guess now we now what "BAM" sounds like.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the same issue occur with the BAM Bari Treking case. Fortunately I caught it before the horn fell out. What I find is that the seam/seal between the top and bottom half of the case are very tight. If something is laying across the seam (like a cord from a sax swab) or they just did not align correctly iit creates enough space that the bottom latch will not grab the top. Once that first one isn't latched it maintains the space so the others usually will not latch. I am always very careful when latching to place enough pressure on the to to fully seat the 2 halves. The bottom latch will also feel different (less resistant) when not engaged to the top. You will develop a fell for this, hopefully before more of your horns bounce on the floor. I've been using the cases for 10+ years without additional incident. Never had a problem with them "un-latching". They are very good cases but there is a short learning curve about the latches.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts