Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What alto sax mouthpiece would be between a Meyer medium chamber 8 and a Lakey 7*3 in brightness and tuning?

I'm not 100% positive but I think the 7*3 has a larger throat than the 6*3. Maybe that is what Lakey means by calling it a "vented chamber," a somewhat unusual term.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Lakey's have more baffle than a Meyer.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A the risk of answering my own question, probably a Beechler M. I haven't yet have one with a good facing...well, maybe the one I had a zillion yrs ago and foolishly sold.

I hear the Beechler/Lakey plastic material is soft. Does that mean their facings tend go south after a while?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Funny, I asked the chief cook and bottle washer at Lakey what exactly a vented chamber was. I got a non-answer worthy of the worst politician you could imagine. As to the quality of the material, not good. As to the facing, it comes from the factory in a fairly southerly condition. Have you tried a Berg with a 2 chamber?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
People at Babbitt probably make fun of how bad stock Beechlers and Lakeys are.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhere in a missing manila folder I have the old Lakey brochure that talks about one model having a "great and exciting chamber." Then there is that whole "f projection" or "ff projection" thing... It was probably written by Claude.

Back to the thread, what is like a Lakey plastic in design but better material and facing? Selmer Jazz Metal?

·
3,407 Posts
MM said:
what is like a Lakey plastic in design but better material and facing? Selmer Jazz Metal?
Lamberson Fmaj7

·
3,407 Posts
blackfrancis said:
Maybe Vernon Buck if you can find one.
YES!!!

I don't have any historical background, but I've handled and worked a few VB's. I'd put money down those were made by Beechler/Lakey or there was some business relationship - like BARI and the dozen different models out there with other names on them. The VB material had the same feel and the design was similar if not identical. The VB general finishing was not superb, but not awful.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huh, a saw a VB and remember it being very different with an extremely high wedge baffle, sorta a Dukoff D on steroids. But that may have been a tenor mpc. It was in Jey Clark's collection.

·
3,407 Posts
My comments are based on alto and tenor VB's - unmistakeably like a high baffle Beechler

·
1,256 Posts
I've been woundering about the same thing. Could it be like this:
Meyer medium :line0: - Meyer small chamer :line2: - Modified/refaced Lakey :space3: - Lakey 7*3 :space5:

ps.
- I got a Beechler Bellite I should sell, to get money to reface my Lakey/buy a refaced one

·
3,155 Posts
i own and have played most of the diff lakey facings and there is a diff between them. the 4*3 is the tamest and the 6*3 a paint stripper. i havnt played the 7*3 . on tenor the 8*3 is a real monster and can hold its own with any metal mpc.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dan, how was the 7*3 alto? Maybe too open for you? My 7*3 was .083 before refacing, smaller than the .090" claimed. Anyway, the chamber arch opening was not really very small like I remember on the other Lakeys I saw. It was actually less extreme than a small chamber Beechler I owned, nuch to my suprise.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always thought they were ugly and squeaky too, until I heard a couple folks playing them who don't sound that way. The 7*3 I recently got does not sound ugly and played ok...and now plays much better after some work was done on the facing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts