1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird finding. My primary setups for my horns are as follows:

-Selmer Serie II alto with Larry Teal mouthpiece, Traditional 3, M/O ligature
-Barone Vintage tenor with Vandoren TL3, Traditional 3.5, M/O ligature

From a physical standpoint, the mouthpieces and setups are relatively similar. Selmer-ish saxophones with relatively similar mouthpieces and reeds. However, altissimo on alto sax comes MUCH easier to me than it ever has on tenor, plus the timbre sounds like it is part of a "natural range". On tenor I sound rather thin, forced, and reedy up top but on alto, it remains full and vocal.

Plus my alto range is much higher, I can reach chromatically up to E4 with good tone and intonation (with some concentration and fingering charts, mind) but on tenor, I can't go chromatically above an A3. I can hit a D4 but that's like controlling a squeak kind of thing, not mastery. Does anyone else experience this phenomenon? It was my knowledge that the higher the horn, the harder the altissimo.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I think it's different with each player. Altissimo is easier for me on alto than tenor or bari, but darn near impossible for me on sop. Might have something to do with the soft palate. I can't sing falsetto either, so maybe there's a physiological reason of some kind.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's different with each player. Altissimo is easier for me on alto than tenor or bari, but darn near impossible for me on sop. Might have something to do with the soft palate. I can't sing falsetto either, so maybe there's a physiological reason of some kind.
Interesting. Well anything above Eb3 on soprano for me is potluck. I'm terrible up there. However, I have a very extended vocal range, chest voice is three octaves.... not even gonna mention falsetto haha! Actually bari altissimo is easier for me too. Just not tenor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts