Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Conn 6m and need some advices. First off...what years are the best? I've read on saxpics.com that the conns made between 1935-1937 are generally considered to be the best of the 6m's...
Or are there no differences? What do I need to think of and what do I have to know before I buy one?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,111 Posts
I'd say anywhere between 1931-'45. That's from the left bell cup Tranny with the old-style pinkies right up thru the VIII neck models.

Maybe a few years later, too, altho I've never tried those horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Actually they are all good, right to the sad demise. Many late model 6m's 'smoke' and intonation is excellent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Gotta agree with Boppity Funk. I have owned two mid-1950's 6Ms without rolled tone holes, and they kicked butt! Even after they drop the Ladyface engraving, they still smoke all the way through the 1960's. Get a steal on one between, say, 1955 and 1965, get it tweaked up by a good tech, and see how it sings!
Sax Magic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,207 Posts
Actually they are all good, right to the sad demise. Many late model 6m's 'smoke' and intonation is excellent.
Yes...
Gotta agree with Boppity Funk. Even after they drop the Ladyface engraving, they still smoke all the way through the 1960's.
Yes.....

I have had 'em all thru here...from one of the first to almost the very last models....

RTH, Non...

microtuner, none...

brass lacquer keys, nickel plated...

Lady, Not...

wire guards, sheet....

Broke 'em down, worked 'em up.

Blew 'em all...and had much, much, much better players than myself play 'em, also.

Their core sound remained the same. Their core feel remained the same. Their core design remained the same.

There are no bad vintages of 6M's. They were good from start to finish.

Word.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
in my opinion... 2011 and up...... well that's when my vintage 1942 got a complete rebuild (don't even think of arguing with an experienced, elegant well dressed lady)...

ah think (always dangerous) that she will be special for quite a while.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is the same true for the 10M's as well... all good thru the end? I have seen good condition later 10M's go for $700 or $800 and watched an early one go recently for $2500.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Is the same true for the 10M's as well... all good thru the end? I have seen good condition later 10M's go for $700 or $800 and watched an early one go recently for $2500.
Yes, although the 'purists' may not agree. Even a late model 10m is getting on for 50 years old now! Some say there was a 'bad' period mid '50's due to industrial action at Conn Ltd. --which may have resulted in less than perfect assembly --but that is open to conjecture.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,207 Posts
A lot of conjecture. Just like the 6's, I have had an equal number and variety of 10's thru here. Again, broken down and built back up, played by several accomplished players...soundfiles made and compared.

The experiences, again, leave me with the same belief:

There are 6 degrees of separation between the vintages of 10M. At their core, they are the same horn.

Come to think of it, when I think of almost all other classic makers and their models, the Artist series was arguably the most consistent model ever produced.

There is no better sleeper horn than a late-vintage 6M or 10M. Absurdly undervalued.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I'd say anywhere between 1931-'45.
That's probably true for most US-made saxes. It was pretty well the "Golden Age" of of the US saxophone.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the answers!
All are good - thats a good conclusion. But wich ones are the most valued? The Viii? Rolled tone holes, micro tuner and underslung octave key on the neck are prefered? Or am I wrong?

/Bjorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,377 Posts
I don't think it's good to generalize with instruments that are 50+ years old. You need to make sure that you can play the instrument you are interested in first, preferably in a real playing situation. I've gone through a number of altos of varying brands and vintages and ended up settling on a nice early 50's 6M that had been in storage since it was new. I had fresh pads put in etc and after a good break in period, I have to say it's one of the nicest altos I've ever had. Is it the best? Maybe not but it's very comfortable, great sound, easy to play in tune and holds it's repairs well.

Also make sure you bring the horn to a trusted repair tech to really evaluate the condition of things that might not be so obvious like the condition of the tone holes etc. I can't emphasize enough that anything mechanical that's been used for decades might not be in great shape.

If you're just collecting, look for one from the 30's as those can also be very fine instruments.

SK

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,077 Posts
I find the ones mentioned (viii, rolled TH, etc.) to be the better horns but you need to evaluate what you are willing to pay. Assuming a horn with a decent finish and good pads, a 50s one may run you under $700 whereas a viii will start at about $1,200 and up. Beyond that is the 26M but that is a whole lot more in equal condition. Don't rule out a 60s 6M as when these are set up well, they can blow the roof off. As far as the rolled TH, a Selmer Mark VI does not have them and people seem to pay a lot for those!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting! I don't collect, I'm just looking for a new alto...
Whats a good price for a viii? $1200? And are the 26Ms naked lady or just in the M series? I've never seen one of those myself :p

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,077 Posts
$1,200 would be good if the horn is in good playing condition and not too beat up and has the original finish. The 26M is like the 6M but with more features, more adjusting screws and rare (expensive).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm about to buy a conn 6m from the begining of the 40's now - I've found one I want at least :) !
It is a viii model and I've read about the viii's having an 'x' before or after the serial number, but the one I'm looking at doesn't have that engraving. Is there different viii models? And does the 'x' affect the value?

Regards

·
Registered
926 Posts
Some of them have the "x," some don't. Mine does not. It could mean anything from "experimental" to "explosive" to "xtra glam" to "let's just put this here so after we destroy the records in the future people will think that it is special and make our horns talked about more."

1 - 20 of 50 Posts