Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I searched through to try and find an old thread that would address my question but didn't find anything. If this has already been addressed, my apologies. Maybe an older member can point me to the best thread dealing with this subject if it exists.

Anyway, I just bought a Jody Jazz ESP model with a spoiler in it. After experimenting with the spoiler in and without it I've come to the conclusion that there will never be a time that I would be playing without it.

My question is what material or adhesive could I use to best secure the spoiler in the mouthpiece so there are no gaps between it and the roof of the mouthpiece, but still have the ability to take it out without damaging it or the mouthpiece?

I've played on many Runyons in the past, but always found they played best without the spoiler. The only time I would use the spoiler was in jobbing band situations. But I find the ESP is vastly superior when the spoiler is in no matter what style I'm playing.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I Played on an ESP tenor piece for a few years and I play on a Jody Jazz Classic soprano now. I always use the spoiler as well, for the reasons you mentioned. Since the spoiler and the piece are made of 2 different materials and the odd design of the spoiler, I would never, ever, ever recommend doing this. It will be difficult to clean, making it easier for the spoiler to corrode, and also a huge hassle if you ever need to replace the spoiler. Plus, it will significantly reduce the value of your piece if you ever want to sell it.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Read the OP more carefully. He still wants to be able to remove it.

The original design intent was for it to be secure when wedged into place, yet removable. So you might just want to sand the sides to get a more secure fit. But this may make the Spoiler wedge in farther from the tip than it does now.

You can try small dabs of poster-hanging or mounting putty. Its like chewing gum but it will not harden over time.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I searched through to try and find an old thread that would address my question but didn't find anything. If this has already been addressed, my apologies. Maybe an older member can point me to the best thread dealing with this subject if it exists.

Anyway, I just bought a Jody Jazz ESP model with a spoiler in it. After experimenting with the spoiler in and without it I've come to the conclusion that there will never be a time that I would be playing without it.
I'm with you. I own an ESP in both tenor and bari, and each sounds anemic without the spoiler. Fortunately, the spoilers have not come dislodged very often on me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts