Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best Way To Plug Reciever Crack?

2086 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Henry D
I have a King Zephyr Baritone that has just been repadded. It was playing terribly, and I had a leak light in it etc. and it is sealing perfectly. I finally figured out that the sliver in the receiver (that allows it to be tightened around the neck) has been extended so that it goes below the neck and air leaks in. When I plugged it up with cork grease the horn started playing great.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best plug the crack in the neck receiver? I don't know the correct term for it, but there is a slot in the receiver that allows it to be tightened around the neck. Cork grease is a short term fix, but I was also thinking of chewing gum and teflon tape as another method. There is no repairman in this country, and this is a school horn, so I am hoping for a more permanent solution. Any advice is much appreciated!
1 - 4 of 14 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Henry D. That silicone sounds like a good solution, an I will try it and let you know how it goes. I am not likely to damage the horn with silicone anyway.

Just to clarify, the slot has been extended deliberately, and quite neatly. I also suspect that it was done in order to squeeze the neck around an undersized tenon. Whoever did it cut way to far down though. I am surprised that this wasn't fixed, because I ordered the horn from Saxquest, and I figured they would notice that the horn wasn't playing right. Other than the neck problem it has a really well done fresh re-pad, and was sold for a great price.
Please note that I didn't tell the student to do such a thing. I intentionally detailed the process such that the horn could be taken to a general machinist and the horn repaired. Some of this type of repair is within the scope of plumber to execute cleanly - not everything is NAPBIRT-sanctioned only.
Btw... I am the band director, not a student. I dabble a lot in repair (necessary as a band director in places like Madagascar), and I appreciate all the responses. Hopefully myself and others on this forum know their limitations when they read repair recommendations from experienced technicians.

I won't be breaking out the metal lathe or a blowtorch on this one, but I just applied some silicone, and will let y'all know how it pans out. Sadly I've been told I am the best person in the country for sax repair (mostly because I am the only one who can get parts and pads reliably), and I have found that jimmy-rigging can be made into a long term solution when there is no alternative. I've seen some pretty crazily fixed horns here.
Thanks for the advice from everyone. This is what I love about Sax On The Web! I went with the silicone fix and the horn has been sealing and playing great for a month now.
1 - 4 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.