Sax on the Web Forum banner

Best way to play with backgrounds (Play-A-long)

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Hi everyone:

I used to play at weddings and other small gigs. Also used to play over a background (Play-A-Long) in MiniDisc.

Now I'm looking if there is another good way to play my backgrounds. I thougth that maybe an ipod will be a good way to play them. But not to shure.

Anyone can give me an advice? How do you play your backgrounds?

Thanks,

#2 ·
I an iPod would be a good way to do it. Small. Can be concealed. But, what you want to make sure of, is that you put your music in lossless (.wav or Apple lossless codec) format, and not mp3 or aac format. To do that, you just have to play around in some setting on iTunes (Edit>Preferences>Tab: "Advanced"). Other than that lossless takes up some room on the iPod.

#3 ·
Hi, thanks. I want find a good quality.

I made some test with an ipod and my old minidisc and seem to be that the MD sound a little bit better. But it could be because I recorded my minidiscs directly from a CD and what i putted on the ipod was mp3 at 192k. I'm ussing an old ipod nano, but don't know if the new ones are better (i.e. thinking about a ipod touch).

searching on internet i found the specs of MD and there are more dB with line out.

So want to hear about what are anyone else ussing for playback his play-a-longs or backgrounds.

Thanks,

#4 ·
the Ipod is definitelly a good idea but then again,if you still have the minidisc why not use that? I've seen a guy basking in Central Park (NYC) singing-along the Fran Sinatra playalongs (with strings)...just a battery powered amp an Ipod and a Mike, et voila! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.