Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SOTW folks,

Thread title summarizes what I have. I've made several recordings of the smooth jazz group with which I perform with my H6. I use an ElectroVoice RE20 for sax, Sennheiser 421 for guitar, Shure SM58 for Electric bass, and just a direct shunted output line input from electric piano. Record tracks as 16bit 44.1khz WAV, mix and EQ in Reaper DAW. Seems to do a good job: https://soundcloud.com/james-bjork-2/the-chicken (though not one of my better)

I'd like to shoot us next time I record with my Nikon D3100 DSLR. So, what's the most straightforward way to do this to make a video?

It seems to me that I just shoot and record (and mix etc to taste) as independent processes and use Filmora

https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/

to (I hope) strip away the ambient audio embedded in the video file of the camera, and replace it (sync it) with the mixed audio, maybe assisted by doing some noisy visible gesture picked up by both camera and recording, prior to launch of each song.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
130 Posts
The most straight forward way is to just push rec:)

The visible and audible sign is an good idea. You will need to streetch either the video or the audio to match each other since they won’t be synced on the same clock. Preferably the video. So make sure you have something audible and visible at the end aswell. And make sure that the video editor program lets you time stretch the video freely. This is easiest done if you have the audio curves visible from both the Zoom and the camera the match the curves when you stretch it.

This is not a big problem if the video is just a few minutes. But the longer the show the more you will notice that the sound and video won’t match. The worst is if the camera divides longer shots in smaller ones, like a GoPro does. Then you will have to stretch and sync each shot individually to the sound.

It sounds harder than it is, it just takes time, and after a few times you will find what works best for you, the equipment and your software.

:)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you planning on miming to a prerecorded track or recording the performance in Reaper and then synching in a NLE?
Multitrack record on Zoom H6, mix etc in Reaper, and sync up the polished sound with the video capture obtained by the Nikon 3100 DSLR (rather than using the 1/8" audio-input jack of the camera with some kind of live mix". I want the best sound I can get. It seems that Saftaffe's reply may capture the reality of what I need to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts