Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i have the chance to get a Boss Me80 effects processor, originally though for guitar. I already have a clip mic that needs phantom power. What would be the best way to connect both?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Something like a Radial VocoLoco or Eventide Mixing Link, would work, just put the ME80 in to the effects loop.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
First off the ME-80 is amazing. You'll be happy you got one. But just note that the signal path that they lay out can sometimes mean you can't use certain effects in tandem without getting massive gain boost and feedback. For instance the octave down with the expression pedal and the auto wah together. You can't do it. You'll discover what works and what doesn't.

For your actual inquiry I'm assuming you're clip on mic is wired. This means you are going to need to run it through either a small mixer or a pre-amp that offers phantom power and then to the ME-80. When I used my ME-80 I was using it with a sennheiser dynamic mic with an impedance converter. If your rig was wireless you'd just be able to take the line out of your wireless receiver to the line in of the ME-80.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No wireless here, I have a little mixer over there with phantom power, not sure if it works but is there a less bulky phantom power providing little box? Just to save space and reduce weight.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, maybe that was a stupid question since i need to convert the signal so that it goes to the pedalboard.

Something like a Radial VocoLoco or Eventide Mixing Link, would work, just put the ME80 in to the effects loop.
As i only would amplify the effects signal i think i can part without that gear, or not??

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off the ME-80 is amazing. You'll be happy you got one. But just note that the signal path that they lay out can sometimes mean you can't use certain effects in tandem without getting massive gain boost and feedback. For instance the octave down with the expression pedal and the auto wah together. You can't do it. You'll discover what works and what doesn't.

For your actual inquiry I'm assuming you're clip on mic is wired. This means you are going to need to run it through either a small mixer or a pre-amp that offers phantom power and then to the ME-80. When I used my ME-80 I was using it with a sennheiser dynamic mic with an impedance converter. If your rig was wireless you'd just be able to take the line out of your wireless receiver to the line in of the ME-80.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I recently picked up a PSC 48 Phantom Mic Power Supply second-hand for $50. Clips onto my belt and powers my ATM-350 clip-on mic.

But yeah, you'll probably need an impedance converter anyway. I'm currently using a TC Helicon Voicetone Create II for my effects, but am interested in trying out some guitar effects pedals. I have my eye on a Radial Voco-Loco to manage the impedance issues.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Something like a Radial VocoLoco or Eventide Mixing Link, would work
Given the choice, which would you choose to integrate effects pedals into your chain: the Voco-Loco or the Mixing Link? As far as I can tell, they're similar in function, but the Mixing Link has a smaller form factor. Not sure if one sounds better than the other, or has more features.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
Hello,
i have the chance to get a Boss Me80 effects processor, originally though for guitar. I already have a clip mic that needs phantom power. What would be the best way to connect both?
Since the Boss ME80 is digital... you may just need a cheap mic preamp with a jack TS output.
Have care to set properly the output level of the mic preamp and the input gain on the Boss multieffect.

If it was an analogic pedal... you can to add a cheap impedence converter.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I use the VocoLoco and have been very happy with it. Small enough that I can put it on my pedal board and connect any/all pedals that I want from this unit.
Thanks ralph, I just might try a Voco-Loco. I'n still using my TC Helicon Voicetone Create XT, which accepts an XLR and has phantom power, then passing it out through an XLR-1/4 inch converter to my boxes. It works okay with my other digital boxes, though I've been having some impedance issues with my new analog Pigtronix Ringmaster, depending on where it goes in the chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts