Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to see what sax still in production has the highest, for lack of a better way to put it, bang to buck ratio? It's all opions, but i'm curious if any horn is slipping my attention.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,210 Posts
I AM NOT BIASED AT AT ALL!!!!!

T.K. Melody

B:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
Yani no longer makes non-pro calibre stuff....as was Mr. Yanigasawa's goal to begin with....

....he did it to get a toe in the door of the world market, but once the name became recognized, went for strict top-shelf stuff....(i.e. even their second-model horns are top shelf in comparison to almost all contemporary makers' best stuff).

The thing is the..."for the money" part....because these never go cheap, so it is hard to say if they meet your criteria there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Although "value = quality/price" it is also important here to know what sort of a price level or quality level you are looking for. The best value in a pro horn might be out of your price range, or the best value in a lower priced horn might not be what you have in mind. What is your price range?

anchorsax

·
Registered
361 Posts
I guess the deciding criteria still needs to be determined. What is the definition of "bang" as it applies to this survey? If playability is compared to cost, I would put the Yamaha 23 up against anything. But if resale value is compared to cost, then you're probably talking selmer, yani or yamaha. Then again, you can't forget about the vintage horns, but then the yardstick moves based on personal experience, tastes, age and rarity.

This is a big can of worms. I'm gonna go do some sheddin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Taiwanese market I have heard is the best place for bang for buck. I don't have any personal experience with the Taiwainese horns but I've heard they are excellent. The Barone horns are very cheap and I've heard nothing but good about them. I'm highly considering an investment myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have a passion for this kind of thing.

And truthfully, The best bang for the buck, hands down, for a NEW saxophone is Yamaha. You can get a sax pretty well equal to any modern Selmer Paris model and with superior build quality for a whole lot lower price. Based on reviews, the Yanagisawa may have a slight performance edge, but the lower cost of the Yamahas make them the winner.

Next in line for a new sax has got to be some of the boutique saxes made in Taiwan. About 90% of the SOTW members that have a Barone sax think it is great. The Antigua Winds sopranos are also highly thought of. The sampling pool for the many other boutique brands is a little too small to gauge, but indications are that some of them are also extremely good for the money.

Again this assessment is just about value. But I believe a player should probably put value second to purpose. Purpose is really most important. If a new sax doesn't take you where you want or feel you need to go, price is irrelevant. In contrast to the above, if a player truthfully believes they should spend $12K for a grossly overpriced 5-digit Mark VI, then I believe that is exactly what they should buy. Otherwise, they will never be happy and that will affect their playing.

PS: This is all said with a clear understanding that vintage saxophones are a much better value that almost all new saxophones. This is especially true if they say Buescher on the bell. :bluewink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Taiwanese market I have heard is the best place for bang for buck. I don't have any personal experience with the Taiwainese horns but I've heard they are excellent. The Barone horns are very cheap and I've heard nothing but good about them. I'm highly considering an investment myself.
Agree with that. BUT... I hope you are not talking about P.Mauriat. P.Mauriat is fxxking overrated. Overpriced ! The owner of P.Mauriate spent millions of dollars buying advertisements (including hiring spokepersons ). There are many brands of Taiwanese saxophones, and 90% of them are all the same. The differences are P.Mauriat saxophones provide a better "pro" look on their horns, nothing further.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Price/quality ratio, = Yani 901's 1st. Yamaha 52's second, Yani 991's third (price knocks them out of 1st & 2nd).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
I agree that Yanagisawas are the saxophones that offer a very high quality product at a very reasonable price. Their price is higher or in line with the high end and better known Taiwanese products but they second hand re-sell value is much higher and they are very sought after.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PS: This is all said with a clear understanding that vintage saxophones are a much better value that almost all new saxophones. This is especially true if they say Buescher on the bell. :bluewink:
+1 oh yeah!

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
And don't say "Selmer"

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,210 Posts
Agree with that. BUT... I hope you are not talking about P.Mauriat. P.Mauriat is fxxking overrated. Overpriced ! The owner of P.Mauriate spent millions of dollars buying advertisements (including hiring spokepersons ). There are many brands of Taiwanese saxophones, and 90% of them are all the same. The differences are P.Mauriat saxophones provide a better "pro" look on their horns, nothing further.
I agree completely except that Mauriats do play well once they are set-up but the high price does reflect the marketing costs. There are comparable or better Taiwanese manufactured saxophones that do not hide behind the marketing/endorsement pricing and believe me I have tried them all.

As far as Yani is concerned the better deal is to purchase one used. The resale value on a 901 is about 70%. Let someone else take the depreciation. Otherwise buying new I think the better Taiwanese horns and some Chinese horns are a better value for the non-collector/investor.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey Evan,

Depends on what you mean by "bang," but the deal Ptung is doing with his Crescent horns looks pretty amazing. You're in NOLA, so you may have just missed him?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hands down a used Selmer Series III. Tenors can be had for $2500. They are well built and play/sound great. Paying 2k for a Chinese/Taiwan horn is crazy when you can buy a used III for the same price.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Hands down a used Selmer Series III. Tenors can be had for $2500. They are well built and play/sound great. Paying 2k for a Chinese/Taiwan horn is crazy when you can buy a used III for the same price.
What if you prefer the Chinese/Taiwan horn?

The crazy thing is to not get the saxophone that you like the best. I happily pay a lot of money for what I need to perform at my best. If it happens to be made in China, that doesn't stop me from buying it irrespective of what other people may think of it..

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.