Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been listening to a few different college wind ensembles and jazz bands and was wondering which schools had the best ensembles. I have heard some pretty good places such as Univ. of Michigan, and Northwestern. I have heard some great things about Indiana University's wind ensemble but have not been able to find any recordings, I would love to hear from anyone who has seen them perform before. But let me know your thoughts about which colleges have the best ensembles.

-Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm from Texas so of course I knew someone would say that, but they are amazing though, I really like their recording of Ice Nine.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,366 Posts
A friend and former teacher of mine composed a bunch of tunes for the University of Iowa Jazz Ensemble and they sound great! You can sample at the link, but I recommend buying the disc (or mp3 download). Some great writing and playing.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timodell2

·
Registered
206 Posts
A friend and former teacher of mine composed a bunch of tunes for the University of Iowa Jazz Ensemble and they sound great! You can sample at the link, but I recommend buying the disc (or mp3 download). Some great writing and playing.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timodell2
Yeah Iowa! I'm at ISU but the Choke-eyes can still do a few things right. Drake University's Jazz group also sounded excellent the last time I heard them.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Wind Ensembles: UNT, U of Michigan, Michigan State

Jazz Ensembles: U of Illinois, UNT, U of Northern Iowa

All large state schools -- but don't overlook the small schools. Lawrence Conservatory, McNally-Smith (St. Paul), and here at Drake, for example, great things are happening.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,629 Posts
Also don't over look the heavy NYC schools for Jazz.

- The New School
- NYU
- Suny Purchase
- Queens College

there are more, but You can't go wrong with those if you want a heavy Jazz Program. Just look up the sax teachers at them and you will poop a brick. Cool guys to study with.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,629 Posts
Oh ya....ONE OF THE BEST IS NEC (New England Conservatory). That is a scary place! Bergonzi is Great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts