Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Was looking for metronomes, but stumbled upon the new Korg tuner+metronome offering TM-60C that very recently hit the market. Along with tuner and metronome functionalities, that particular variant comes with a contact mic.

With it the mic it will pick up only the sax sound, not ambient noise. Also with the mic I believe it can automatically generate a reference tone from the note you are playing, so you can tune purely by ear if one prefers (if I understood correctly, it plays the nearest reference tone continuously as you play.. it only works with mic OR headphones as otherwise the tuner would get confused by it's own sound)

There seems to be little to no reviews as of yet, no youtube no thomann reviews no nothing. Looked neat on paper, so, ordered it anyway. Should work well with sax as Korg marketing materials for the device features sax prominently. Will update with hands on experience once it arrives, if there is interest.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Okay the Korg TM-60C arrived. The "sound back" / automatic reference tone feature is great!

Looks and feels flimsyish - fair enough considering the price (40EUR including mic). But would like to pay more for something more robust feeling.. Buttons are not the best, feel mushy, but they do the job.

Screen is good, wide viewing agle, and the tuner is easy to read, fast and clear. Picks up sax, piano, mouthpiece with jazzlab silencer well both with the internal mic and the provided contact mic. Of course with the contact mic it doesn't pick up ambient noise.

Works surprisingly well even with the tuba, with limitations, like the reference tones are not much help with the low tuba rumble, and the lower tuba range in general is a bit finicky especially with my dirty barking, haha!

There's no transpose feature for Eb/Bb horns, but I'm not sure what would be the use, happy with concert pitch display.

Metronome works as expected, I'm happy with it.

Disappointed about the volume level though. Both metronome and reference tones can be hard to hear when playing sax loudly. Sure you can hook it to a PA or headphones, but thats a bit of a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I just got a Korg OT 120 that I'm pretty happy with. I've been trying to use the apps available for smartphones and tablets and I have a couple older Korg tuners. The mics on the phones and tablets don't seem to pick up the sax well for some reason. At least in my studio which is a bit bright the overtones appear to make the things really jumpy. The older Kogs I have use 9 volt batteries which seem to constantly need replacing. The OT 120 uses AAAs which I have a pile of in rechargeables so that works better especially when I forget to shut the thing off. I wish the display was a little easier to read but otherwise it's the best I've come across in this price range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry a Korg, but 99% of the time use the Tuner T1 app on my ipad.
Big screen, fast response, easy to see whether sharp or flat from a distance, and when right on, the whole screen goes bright green.
Quick and easy.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I use Tuner Lite for iPhone. It has a virtual needle, can generate tones, and is free.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Funny, I was going to post an inquiry yesterday into what players are using for tuning.

I've found my digital piano(s) to be the best tool. Adding a strobe tuner can be very informative.

I find the simple 'Korg'-like devices, whether stand alone or software based are good but only in a 1 octave or smaller range. Without going into depth, strings tuning octaves - pianos and guitars - is done by tuning the higher note to overtones of the lower, first overtone being the octave itself. Strings exhibit sharper overtones as you get successively higher. In pianos, it's known as stretch tuning.

So, if your Korg doesn't compensate, and they generally don't, tuning to A440 will give you A880 an 8va higher which is likely to be flat in a real world setting.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts